Dog's false pregnancy

my dog went through her first heat so i've scheduled her to be fixed later this month. i know she's not pregnant but he r mammary glands are enlarged and she does have discharge. the vet said it was normal but i'm wondering if anyone has experienced this with their dogs.

btw, she's a chihuahua and is 7 months.

erinwhitt

Asked by erinwhitt at 4:24 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Pets

• Actually yea were going through it right now too lol. My sons dog was rehomed because he moved and couldnt take said dog with him. The people brought her back to my house today claiming she was pregnant. We live on a farm, and the only dogs around our my dogs (both female) so I know theres no way she can be pregnant. But she had her heat, and she has all the same signs you are describing. I told the people that is probably what it was, but they were just worried about puppies. DH told me to just take her on down and have her fixed. We are making an appointment next week for that. If she was pregnant, it would be the longest dog pregnancy EVER LOL.

Answer by gemgem at 4:26 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• yes completely normal. she will have discharge its like our period for a dog.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 4:27 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• thanks guys,

btw, i've already gotten a few nasty messages telling me i should have fixed my dog and all about the puppies that are dying in kennels.
    erinwhitt

Comment by erinwhitt (original poster) at 4:28 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• my dog had a chemical pregnancy or false pregnancy once I was all kinds of ready to have me some puppies but went in to the vet to check everything out and no puppies it lasted about 63 days and she was back to normal lol
    msh88

Answer by msh88 at 4:33 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• awww erin just ignore them. Its no ones business what you do. Maybe they should go and save some puppies if they are so concerned.

Answer by gemgem at 4:35 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• i had every intention to get her fixed but i was under the impression you should wait until the bitch has gone through her first heat. i don't know if that's true with all breeds but that's how most vets feel about chihuahuas.

My male isn't fixed, either. We're waiting until he's a year because he's still so small. I'm trying to fatten him up.
    erinwhitt

Comment by erinwhitt (original poster) at 4:39 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• It is normal, some females will actually bleed to the point of having to wear diapers. But there really is no need for a bitch to ever go through a first heat, no matter what the breed is. Same way there's no reason not to fix your male now. Honestly, waiting could actually be a bad thing, once they get all that testosterone going, sometimes fixing them won't mellow them out at all, and they'll be more aggressive towards other males, and will try humping legs etc.... So don't wait for the male, either!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:50 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Some vets feel waiting is until after the first heat is better, others will do it sooner. It's really up to you. Just know that by having her spayed you are reducing her chances of getting certain types of cancers. The chances of breast cancer, though, increase with every heat she has so even after she is spayed, if she has had a heat it is possible for her to get it.
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 4:51 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Oh, and for the record, I'm a BIG supporter of getting all animals fixed as early as possible, just because there are so many unwanted animals out there already. And yes, gemgem, I put my money where my mouth is, I have 2 dogs and 7 cats, all rescues. So don't get too mad at people who left comments like that, they have all animals' best interest in mind.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:52 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• @Anouck - the testosterone production will stop when the male is neutered. The problem with waiting to neuter a male is that so many of those "intact" behaviors become habit and are much harder to train out.
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 4:53 PM on Mar. 1, 2011