how to swim

my daughter NEEDS to learn how to swim. were going to Florida soon and she NEEDS to learn. please help

POkerlove8989

Asked by POkerlove8989 at 4:41 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I was thrown in and told to swim or doggie paddle but that was back when I was 6 years old and needless to say I began doggie paddling. But now days I would suggest the local YMCA or Community Center they offer swimming lessons. I believe every child should learn to swim at an early age my daughter is going to be two and loves water so this summer she is going to learn to swim going to the YMCA.
    Crazee854

Answer by Crazee854 at 4:44 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Most pools that have swimming lessons offer one on one private lessons for a little more. If you are in a hurry and need her to learn quickly I would sign her up for that.
    TelecommutingMo

Answer by TelecommutingMo at 4:46 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My kids go to the Y and really like it.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 4:49 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My kids took swimming lessons, and it helped a lot.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:54 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I enrolled both of mine in swimming lessons when they were 4, and now they are great swimmers
    Jackmother239

Answer by Jackmother239 at 10:14 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Slow your roll!!! If you force water on a child she will freak and have a fear of it for life. We have a pool, kids need to aclimate to the water slowly and at their own comfort level. This is not a switch you can just throw in. Put her in some lessons, but go at HER pace not anyone elses. There is no law that says just because you visit FL she must swim. Stick to the beack and sand and shovel.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:10 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• all of my kids take swim lessons from ae 1 until 5 and they re all swi qualified..... check your local Y
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:13 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I would call my local YMCA if I were you.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 8:23 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I would get her into lessons at a local rec center or Y. Some dive schools (ones with pools in them) do classes as well. I am going to sign my son up for one this summer I think..
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 1:23 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I have my girls in swim at the local pool...should put your child in private lessons)
    conchita07

Answer by conchita07 at 11:42 PM on Mar. 8, 2011