21 month old today began climbing out of crib at naptime. Any hints for what to do now and how to do it?

Not interested in the crib tent, but would LOVE practical, helpful hints as to what to do at nap time now that she is falling out of crib.

ZoeLife1

Asked by ZoeLife1 at 5:15 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Once my kids figured out how to get out it was time for a toddler bed. If she were to keep falling out of the crib she could get hurt! .. good luck. oh you could always lower the crib to the lowest?
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 5:17 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• You probably don't have to do much, because I am sure it hurt to fall. I would just go in and tell her no and put her back in. Good luck
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 5:17 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• i second the previous poster. is the crib on the lowest setting? and if so, it's time to say bye-bye to the crib and get a toddler bed.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:18 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I think its time for a toodler bed. thats when i got one for my kids.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 5:19 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• It's time to lose the crib. T%oddler bed or standard bed. Once they start climbing out they don't stop and it can be dangerous for them. Be thankful you had 20 months. my youngest climbed out at 9 months and that was all she wrote. Toddler beds weren't around yet. We eventually left the side down and put a chair beside his bed and taught him how to climb out safely. He got up a few times at nap or bed time...but a firm no and putting him back in bed solved that. We kept him in the crib about 6 more months so he could grow and we could put him in a standard twin.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:19 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Once they can get out of their crib they need to not be in one anymore. There is no point (since they now know they can do it) and they will just wind up getting hurt. Now it is time for you to instill in her that nap time is quiet time, even if she doesn't sleep she needs to stay in her bed and have rest time.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 5:20 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• also, my middle daughter was exactly 21 months when we made the transition. she did much better than i had expected.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:20 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I put my son in a toddler bed with side rails to protect him from falling out off the sides once he started to climb his way up to get out of the crib. Luckily I had bought a crib that converts so I just converted it into the toddler bed form and went and bought a side rail for the side that didn't have a rail with crib. If you were to put her back in the crib and she fall out again, it could injury badly one time and that wouldn't be good. Also, if for the first night you're worried about her falling from the toddler bed you can do what I did, I put a folded up comforter under my youngest son's bed so it would be soft if he fell, but he is too smart for me so he moved it. I put a memory foam mattress topper i had and folded it in half shoved it halfway under bed and halfway out of bed on floor and it helped alot. He fell once and didnt' get a bruise,scratch, nothing. My son was ready for toddler bed before that age though
    shortmommy23

Answer by shortmommy23 at 5:22 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My son was about 15 months when we transitioned him. He was very quickly becoming a little monkey, and I figured it was time. Make a quick transition to a bed - and I recomment a single or a double, just skip the toddler bed step completely. A bigger bed will give her more space to move around and it'll be less likely for her to fall out. Also a bed rail is a good option - you can get them at Babies R Us - and will ease your mind if you're worried. Baby proofing her room, if it's not already done, is a good way to go too. When we put my son in the bed, we got latches for his dresser drawers (because they were extremely easy to open) and we tidied up EVERYTHING - there had previously been boxes all over in there from moving in. We took away anything that might keep him up at night, and it worked great. No problems at all, right from the start.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 5:23 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• toddler bed or twin bed.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 5:29 PM on Mar. 1, 2011