What is the best home remedy for the flu?

friendorfoe

Asked by friendorfoe at 5:51 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Health

• Rest, alot of fluids, and maybe some vicks if you get congested. We just got rid of that mess. We did tamiflu and for two of the kids they also did antibiotics they had complications (ear infections). They told us what I just said, rest, fluids, medicine. Oh and tylenol for fevers.

Answer by gemgem at 5:53 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Fluids and rest.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:53 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Avoid dairy while you are sick – it can increase the amount of mucus your body produces. Peppermint tea is great! Peppermint is a natural decongestant; just be sure that peppermint is the only ingredient. Honey (antibacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory) is the best cough syrup.throat soother. Emergen-C will help you stay hydrated and give you an energy boost; be sure to mix it with cold water. The lowest price is at Trader Joes, though it is sold just about everywhere (Target, Walgreens, etc.). I am a big believer in the power of foods. This healing foods pyramid from the University of Michigan is great:  http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/food-pyramid/index.htm

Answer by rkoloms at 10:20 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Get some Elderberry syrup. The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference. A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms.
    Most important, stay well hydrated!
    I always make miso soup when someone is sick
    Morning miso
    2 cups veg. broth
    2 cups hot water
    4 Tbsp. miso
    1 tsp. fresh ginger root, grated
    1/2 cup diced firm tofu
    3 Tbsp. thinly sliced scallion greens
    1/2 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
    I have substituted onion for the scallions, and left out the mushrooms. I have also added some thinly sliced chinese cabbage, because I happened to have it.)

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 10:21 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Pour the veg. broth and 1 cup of water into medium saucepan. In separate bowl, dissolve the miso in the remaining 1 cup water. Mix well and add to saucepan. Add the ginger root and mushrooms and heat until simmering (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in
    the tofu and scallions. (If adding other veg. like onion or cabbage, you'll want to simmer until they are tender before adding tofu.)

• thanks for some great answers. It's my mom thats sick and very stubborn, lol. But we did get her some meds and I made her some ginger tea and some peppermint tea she is not fond of the peppermint but she did drink a cup of it so I would quit standing over her.
    friendorfoe

Comment by friendorfoe (original poster) at 11:07 PM on Mar. 1, 2011