husband vs father

I am 35 wks pregnant When me and my husband first found out it was 2 weeks before our wedding We picked out names and emmediately agreed on a girls name Penelope We told our families who are old fashioned, and no one liked the name It is our baby and we love it This is also my fathers first grandchild He has been waiting forever He has three older children who have no children and he is 55 yrs old ad thinks it is time problem..My father hates the name Penelope and has told me and my husband he REFUSES to call her Penelope He WILL call her sissy I absolutely hate the name..she is no one sister I know it is just a nick name I feel it isnt that big of a deal to argu over My hsbnd on the other hand, hates the name and says he REFUSES to let he be called sissy I just happen to marry the second most stubborn childish man in the world the 1st is my father im stuck in the middle what do i do to keep peace and nt stress

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:32 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Relationships

• Well, when the baby is born I would continue to reinforce that her name IS Penelope. Everytime your Dad says it another way just correct him, maybe you guys could come up with a nickname everyone agrees on. I had a daughter named Kadence, she was stillborn but before that happened my Mom told me she hated the name and would call her Kadi. It wasn't bad so I said whatever and I was plannign on dealing with it after she was born. This time our daughters name will be Aniya, my Mom just shut her mouth and was thankful she is healthy
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 7:41 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I feel for you! I had a simalar situation with my FIL. I named my first son after my father and my FIL. My FIL name was Bill and my Dads middle name is Evans. I named my son William Evan. My FIL said his name wasn't William, it was Bill! He said Bill was on his birth certificate! lol Anyway we called my son Evan because I didn't want him to be called Billy or Willy. Of course my FIL refused to call him EVAN! he would only call him BILLY and it drove me CRAZY! He didn't visit much because he lived so far away and his health was bad so we just tried to ignore it. It really doesn't matter in the end what the grand parents call their grand kids as long as they have a good relationship. If he loves her and wants nothing but the best for her, that's all that should matter!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 7:41 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• *****NOTE:MY FATHER CALLING HER SISSY I FEAR WILL LEAD MY HUSBAND AND FATHER TO NEVER SPEAK AGAIN. THEY ARE THAT STUBBORN. I DONT WANT TO BE, BUT I AM CAUGHT IN THE MIDDLE. MY HUSBAND SAYS TO STAND UP TO HIM, AND MY FATHER SAYS HE WILL CALL HE SISSY NO MATTER WHAT.
    Anonymous

• Why don't you and your husband agree on a nichname to allow your father and any other family mambers that do not like your name. Alot of people have nicknames. Mine is Rudy LOL. I guess I was a rude child? Try something that works for the two of you and give them an ultimatum they call her by one of the two names or don't get to see her. Its really mean but at least they have options and what grandfather is going to say no and not see his first grandbaby
    CMead02

Answer by CMead02 at 7:52 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• This sounds like its between your father and your husband. Why do youhave to be in the middle. I would personally have my husbands back. But really when it comes up, jsut tell them that the two of them need to work this out because your not getting pulled in the middle.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 8:06 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• how can you win this battle? you can't. one of them will be unhappy either way. so don't let yourself get upset about it as well. one of my relatives has a nickname for my daughter that i don't care for, but i ignore it. i'm around my baby everyday so i can reinforce which names shr reponds to.

good luck.
    Anonymous