Why has my daughter decided to eat on my lap?

My daughter, 20 mos old, has always been a good eater. When she started on solids at 6 mos, she took to food well, and never had any problem sitting in her high chair for meals. She eats what we eat at meals now, not baby food anymore. But lately, for the last few weeks, she cries almost every time we put her in her chair. If she tolerates being put in her high chair, she decides very quickly that she's done and cries to get out. What she wants, though she never has done it before, is to sit on my lap (not Daddy's) and eat my food. If I let her, it's the best that she eats anymore. I don't necessarily need her to stop doing this (though it can be difficult at times) but I AM very curious as to why the sudden change. Any ideas?

Jinxiewolf

Asked by Jinxiewolf at 6:37 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She does it because you let her. If you want her to sit in her chair then be firm and say no. She'll soon catch on and realize that meals times mean eating in the highchair.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 6:45 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• because you let her
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:52 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• because we give into them because deep down we love thee attention. I also have him sit on my lap to eat but not all the time, he is good with just sitting REALLY close lol
    jrevling

Answer by jrevling at 7:06 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• It probably makes her feel more like you........a big girl! I'd be happy that she is eating well!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:17 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Actually, there was quite a long time when I DIDN'T let her, and she simply didn't eat. She'd cry, get out of her chair, and that was it. When recently I let hre into my lap, she began eating again. I had wondered if it was just because I was letting her, but since I hadn't for over a week, I didn't think that was it.
    Jinxiewolf

Comment by Jinxiewolf (original poster) at 7:31 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Well, the whole "because you let her" is a good answer.  If she eats well, and it's okay with you, then I say why not let her?  No big deal.  Your kids aren't going to sit on your lap forever...enjoy it :)

CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 9:06 PM on Mar. 1, 2011