At 32 weeks im very depressed, is there a safe antidepressant to start taking now or should i wait for after the baby?

girls4u

Asked by girls4u at 6:37 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Your dr is the only one who can answer this. Def talk to him/her! GL!!! I was depressed after baby so I know how you feel. YOur current depression could get worse so start talking to your dr now and exploring your options
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:39 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Why are you depressed? I think you should speak to your Dr. Get some rest and relax, try to destress and get ready for baby.
    brancoj

Answer by brancoj at 6:40 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I do not recommend getting on anti-depressants. Even the ones that are supposedly safe now aren't studied on pregnant women. Mental health drugs are NOT studied on women.

I had a baby, Lauren, 7 years ago. At the time my OB prescribed drugs to me that were thought "safe". She was born with a cleft palate, heart defects, etc. She was in the NICU for 3 weeks. She eventually had to have heard surgery and other medical procedures. Within the last year the medicine descriptions that I took during my pregnancy have FINALLY been changed and are deemed NOT safe to use during pregnancy.

I wish I could have saved my daughter the pain of not going through all of that. In my opinion after dealing directly with the repercussions of being on the meds during my pregnancy, I cannot safely suggest to anyone to do it unless it's a very extreme case.

But, you need to discuss this with your OB and do your own research before hand. GL
    Anonymous

• i was diagnosed with depression when i was 21 and when i got pregnant i hadnt had to take meds for a few years but with the hormones in my body i started to feel a little off and my doctor said that there wasnt anything i could really take because it hasnt been proven whether or not antidepressants are in fact safe or not for baby he suggested i try occupying my time with something like reading photography getting the baby stuff together registering for baby stuff which really helped me and thinking of all sorts of things that were positve...he also said that it was very normal for women to feel depressed during pregnancy because of all the hormones and emotions going through our bodies...what i can give you in my advice is to talk to your doctor about how you are feeling and dont be afraid to say exactly what you are feeling because it is not embarrasing at all and he needs to know if you are not feeling 100 % in any way
    ahsot1230

Answer by ahsot1230 at 7:02 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My doctor put me on a low dose of Lexapro and started to wean me off when I got close to delivering, so the baby would not be affected by it. She was born perfectly healthy and is 13 months now and still fine.
    Tracee F.

Answer by Tracee F. at 7:09 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• It depends if you think the benefits will out weight the risks. Definitely talk to the doctor and if you dont take meds now. You can start them after delivery to be on the safe side. Good Luck.
    Aries46845

Answer by Aries46845 at 7:38 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Talk to your doctor. There are several that are fine to take while pregnant. If you think you need them, maybe you do.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:58 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• They are not tested on pregnant women. That is my entire emphasis. They can say they are fine but truly they are not fine if they don't know the possible risks! How can they know if they do not test on pregnant women? The warnings and regulations on medicines are consistently changing because as the meds have been out longer, they become more aware of the hazards and benefits of meds. Most of the meds that will be recommended to you will be all new meds and they simply have not been out long enough to have a good track record. The way people find out is when babies and pregnant Mothers have bad experiences...

I am not trying to be a troll about it, but please do your OWN research with this, including talking to your doctor.
    Anonymous

• Anon, there are meds that are tested and proven to be perfectly fine to take during pregnancy. Do your OWN research as well.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:21 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• thank you so that was easy for me to decide...I want to wait....this is my first time using this and just the idea of talking to someone about what i'm going through feel good....thank you everyone for taking time to help me!
    girls4u

Comment by girls4u (original poster) at 8:36 PM on Mar. 1, 2011