I just started my baby on solids and so far so good! She has been eating about 4-5 mini spoonfuls of sweet potato (earth's best brand) and I've also been supplementing it with 5 oz of formula (her usual meal). How do I know when to increase the solids and decrease the formula? I don't want to overfeed her and I know she will stop eating when she's not hungry anymore. Any advice for a first time mom? Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:52 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Fruits and veggies usually arent enough. Are you doing a cereal too? That will def help fill her. Try 4oz of formula and go up or down from there. Youll get a routine soon enough! GL!!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:56 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• you don't decrease the formula
    food is IN ADDITION to formula/breastmilk

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:56 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• And always mix the cereal with formula. Keep track of those ounces too because they count
    Steph319

• You don't decrease formula until 12 mos of age. All the way until the first birthday, solids are to be given only AFTER nursing or a bottle. NO SOLIDS until baby has nursed or finished their usual bottle feeding. As to when to increase the solids, follow baby's lead.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:00 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Thank you everyone! Just another question - should I feed her the formula first and after she finishes, have her try the solids? I just didn't want her to get too full from formula and not want to try the solids, and vice versa. Also, yes we are giving her rice cereal mixed with formula but only for her night feeding.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:03 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• yes,formula 1st

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:08 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• formula 1st. Solids are just to get used to the texture since her digestive tract still isn't mature enough to get nutrients out of solids.

Once she hits the 12 month mark you can start decreasing formula or just switch to whole milk.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:13 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• first off all there is no need for cereal. formula shouldnt be decresing. how old is she? and yes formula before solids.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 9:20 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Yes, formula, then offer solids. It's fine if solid feedings are only a few bites of something, that's actually normal. Cereal is not needed, but if you use it, offer it via spoon, not in a bottle. (unless maybe a dr gave good reason to)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:26 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• We started our 7 mo old with solids last month - Earth's Best sweet potatoes and carrots. We've been doing it for dinner only until she gets the hang of it. When we feed her, we start with the sweet potatatoes, sometimes 2 jars, sometimes 2.5, then offer her 4oz of formula after. We figure if she is already full, then she won't take the formula, but so far she has.........We will increase the amount of solids in a week probably but still offer the formula. At some point, we know she will not want the formula and then we will not serve it to her, but just for that feeding........
    Peggs11

Answer by Peggs11 at 11:33 AM on Mar. 2, 2011