Hey man, ready for the new VW van? I'm ready to slap my flower power stickers on it ...

Image:

Volkswagen AG is resurrecting its iconic microbus, which debuted in 1950 and became a favorite of hippies for its unique styling and copious space for travelers.

Volkswagen is showing a concept version of the van — known by its German nickname, the Bulli — at the Geneva Auto Show this week. Among the six-seater's modern twists: It's powered by an electric motor and uses an iPad to control the entertainment system, climate control and other functions.

Volkswagen said the Bulli can go up to 186.4 miles on a single battery charge. That's far, considering that the Nissan Leaf is rated at 73 miles on a charge by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. The Bulli can go up to 87 miles per hour.

The Bulli was the brainchild of a Dutch Volkswagen importer, Ben Pon, who in 1947 sketched out a simple public bus built on the wheels of the Volkswagen Beetle. The original Bulli was made from 1950 to 1967. Other versions followed, and the vehicle was eventually sold worldwide.

The concept is slightly shorter and wider than the original, with a less boxy front. But there are plenty of nods to the original, including a three-person bench seat in the front and a two-tone paint job.

Volkswagen hasn't confirmed that the concept van will go into production.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41846500/ns/business-autos/

tasches

Asked by tasches at 6:56 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Sorry, but it just doesn't have the same kind of CHARM as the original.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:04 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I had a '69 VW Bug as my first car. When we got married, my husband had a '73 VW Supper Beetle. We were a 2 bug family. I just can't make myself like any VW that costs more than $2,500 and doesn't look like a bug. We even traded a wood stove and $200 for a '75 bug when my oldest was 8 yo. When he turned 15, he and his dad restored that bug. He drove it 2 months, a lady ran a stop sign, flipped him on his lid, and totaled that poor car, BUT they made those cars like tanks. It popped in the roof, but no one was hurt. You've got to love the old bugs!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:31 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Nope... I am leaning more towards......  

(which is made in America).....

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:12 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• the thing you posted is like a 74 camper van or something, not even the flower power era

***

Are you always this abrasive about EVERYTHING...even things that are strictly personal OPINIONS?! Sad.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:18 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Just outta curiosity~ Is this minibus one of the VW mades in America?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:14 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Damn...grly...that image almost looks 3-D...I LOVE it!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:17 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Now there is a cool van, Lori LOL
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:05 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• LOL Lori.... I haven't figured out how to make pics smaller in Safari, yet.... But this is my wallpaper on my laptop.... I have been saving up for many many years to buy this car.. Originally I was going to get the Cadillac CTS-V. But then with all of GM's issues, I have decided to go with an American Plant/AMerican Worker built Foreign Car... Which brought me to BMW.... I LOVE IT.. ;o) by the time we leave Anchorage and get back to the lower 48~ Ohhhh yes! it will be mine!!!
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:23 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Hmmm, kinda weird...jmo... :o)
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 10:15 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

•  

I'll take this one....

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:53 AM on Mar. 2, 2011