My 5 year old daughter has been slapping her face and her feet. Sometimes other body parts. She has mild Autism and is speech delayed so she can't tell me what is wrong. Sometimes she throws fits and just hits herself. Once she gets through the fit she is fine. What causes this?

Daughter is slapping herself

Mamu66

Asked by Mamu66 at 7:39 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• She might really be frustrated by not being able to communicate exactly what she is feeling. Any help in teaching her more communication skills might be helpful.
    PamJM

Answer by PamJM at 11:11 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Seizures are not uncommon in children with Autism you may want to talk to your Ped about testing. Other possible reasons: it could be sensory....next time she "throws a fit" write down what was going on in the 10-15 before the fit, every behavior, the duration of the event, and how she acted in the 10-15 minutes following the fit.............do this for every occurrence and watch for a pattern to immerge.....any constant factor (time of day, weather, events, noises, etc) could be the trigger for her if this is a sensory issue. If you need help setting up a chart to track her behavior, let me know and I'd be glad to help you. (I was an Autism and Behavioral Specialist before becoming a SAHM)
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 7:52 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• it could just be an occasional overload of the chemicals that cause autisitic symptoms... if I were you, I would get the child a chiropractor, I heard the way that some of them crack people's backs and neck, they feel so much better... someone I knew that's child was severely autistic, started doing that and a lot of the hand flapping went away and eye contact increased... many of the symptoms improved dramatically... wouldn't hurt to try
    not-so-des-hw

Answer by not-so-des-hw at 8:03 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• What state do you live in? I am from Pennsylvania and there they have specific education and trained professionals....therapists, who work with special needs children. I worked as a Therapeutic Staff Support (TSS) worker for many years. I was under the supervision of a Behavior Specialist Consultant and/or a Mobile Therapist. Not sure what states have this Behavioral Therapy available. But if your state has this, you could be eligable for help. It would be great to have others help educate you and get early intervention in there. Autism is very exhausting for the child and the family. Some Autistic children I worked with were more severe than others, not one was similiar. And the support the therapist team can provide can make a world of difference to a family. Any questions, msg me personally
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:42 PM on Nov. 20, 2008