What do you think of parents raising their children without religion?

There are a growing number of adults in this country (US) who identify with being atheist or agnostic (atheist=no belief in god, agnostic=believing there may or may not be a higher power). What do you think of them raising their children to believe exactly like they do. Such as teaching their children there is no god, the Bible is a book of myths created by man or just not teaching anything about any religion and letting their children grow up free of spiritual influences.
(I asked this in another forum last year and got some...interesting answers, most from people that didn't even have kids so I'm asking here now.)

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 7:56 PM on Jul. 8, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• My husband and I are atheist. We have a two year old together and he has a 10 year old from a previous relationship. He has always taught his older daughter that she has the right to choose her religion when she is ready. He does not force his (non)beliefs on her. She goes to church with her mother and appears to be happy with that for now. Our daughter will grow up without religion, but she will be free to make her own choices when she's old enough. We will answer her questions to the best to our ability and let her learn about different religions. I'd like for her to choose science and logic over myths, but in the end, it will be up to her. Whatever her decision, we won't love her any less.
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 9:39 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I think it is THEIR choice, and I don't judge them for it. EVERYONE on this earth will someday have to stand before God and be judged, weather they believed in Him or not. Yes I'm a believer. yes I raised my kids with God.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:07 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I think it's AWESOME! Let the child decide when they're older! It should be THEIR choice not the parents.
    lillie023

Answer by lillie023 at 8:34 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I think to each his own on this one..but remember just because someone is agnostic or atheist does not mean they dont teach their kids about religion, I am agnostic and I attend a unitarian universalist church which teaches religious education and the kids learn all the religions of the world and even go on field trips to other churches, mosques, temples etc to learn first hand what the beliefs are of those people..they also learn other things such as, enviromental education and science, and the meaning of fair trade products. This is one of the best ways to eventually let the child learn about the religions and then they can decide what they feel is right on their own because what is most important is a child being able to learn to "feel" what is right instead of doing what a book tells them is right so you will get a reward or so you dont go to "hell" or other bad place when you die or pass on, or reicarnated etc.
    JTNMD711

Answer by JTNMD711 at 9:32 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I teach my children what I believe,but tell them it's not how everyone believes and that their path is their own. I will love them and respect their choices. I don't have a problem with it at all. I will even help them research any religion they are considering.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:40 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Wow! I couldn't agree more with 2auisticsmom! That's exactly how we feel in our home. No one really knows the real "truth". That's why religions are referred to as "faiths". The world would be a better place if everyone would accept each others right to believe what they want to, and not judge others for those beliefs.
    mamajamsa

Answer by mamajamsa at 10:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• well i was raise christian and i still believe in God. i was raised baptist but i changed to non-denominational christian. so basically i still believe in God but dont conform to one certain christian faith. i am very open minded, i just believe in God and i am very happy with that. my son is only 2 so he really doesnt understand. when he gets older he will have been raised with my husband and i's beliefs but if he decides that he wants to be athiest or agnostic or any other belief, i dont care. i want him to live the christian life that i have but if he doesnt want to, thats his choice. i will always love him no matter what.
    annak4404

Answer by annak4404 at 10:36 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• i think it's good to raise you child with a basis of religion, but not to force a set denomination of faith on them... or if you raise them in your home church, allow them to explore the faith of other religions and support them in their search and their choice... it's ultimately their choice. i personally wouldnt want to stop my son from making choices that could effect his life in a better way, even if its not the choice i would have made
    mfialdrdickhaus

Answer by mfialdrdickhaus at 10:42 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I would feel that I achieved the definition of success if I raise my children without religion. I believe in God, but religion is man made.
    FiveofaKind

Answer by FiveofaKind at 10:42 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I heard once that everyone is exposed to the Truth at some point in their lives.

I will always love my kids no matter what they choose to believe in later in life. My job here as a parent is to expose them to the Truth the best way I know how.

Those who don't believe are simply blinded by Satans lies.

To each his own...but I'm doing things the way God intended them to be done.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:47 PM on Jul. 8, 2008