WTH is my mom's doctor thinking in telling her to eat unhealthy food to gain weight??

My mom has COPD. So far she is maintaining. She hasn't worsened. She has twice daily Albuterol treatments and is on oxygen at night. She went to the doctor today and he noted that she had lost more weight. he was telling her to eat white bread,candy,donuts,etc to put on weight! As if she needs to be eating crap like that! I told her to consult a dietician for a weight gain diet. Sheesh! At almost 67 she doesn't need to substitute one problem for another!

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 7:07 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Health

• I agree; that's not healthy at all. Even if she needs to gain a few pounds, a doctor should not recommend she put unhealthy GARBAGE (sugars, trans fat, etc) into her body. That stuff isn't good for anybody, but even worse for someone with already compromised health. Sheesh.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:42 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I think she needs to see another doctor.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 7:08 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Maybe another doctor, to get a second opinion
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 7:09 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Yes, a second opinion would be the best way to handle the doctor's requests.
    Aries46845

Answer by Aries46845 at 7:13 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I wouldn't take a doctor's advice on nutrition, from what I understand it's an elective in med school, ridiculous as what you fuel your body with is such a major component of health
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 8:02 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Considering what she eats is helping or hurting her fight against the COPD I would be putting the highest quality foods I could in my system. Now there are healthy high fat foods and I think she should get a second opinion and/or see a nutritionist to help her gain weight.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:24 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• You might not like it but it will work. Maybe he just wants her to do it short term. I have to eat unhealthy food bc my body makes kidney stones and healthy food has oxalate in it which makes stones. Sometimes we have to do things we don't want to do for medical reasons. I have to work out more so I don't gain the weight bc I have a heart condition.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:15 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• She can't eat that crap. She had her gall bladder and a section of large intestine removed last year. Apparently the doc can't read a chart!

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 7:16 PM on Mar. 1, 2011