Do you ever think they or we can come together for the common good?

Is there a middle ground somewhere, where a difference of opinion doesn't garner an attack by those w/ opposing views? Different doesn't equal wrong, just different. The founding fathers came together for the common good to start this great Nation. So how did we get to this "Us vs. Them" mentality? It defeats the purpose of what this country was built upon. OH to dream.

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 7:20 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Why does everyone have to make it so personal by saying it's hatred? Seriously? I wouldn't expect anyone of the liberals here to ignore their ideals just in the name of trying to find common ground. When it comes to moral issues there is just no way many people will meet on common ground. Some people see things black and white with no shades of grey. It doesn't mean they hate, but rather they see compromise as a step toward something they absolutely do not want.

Personally, I am already pretty moderate.  Not everyone thinks the same way though.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:45 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Not likely. Everyone has a different opinion of what the common good is. JMO.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:26 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I'm not going to say anything I was initially thinking. Yes, we can.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:24 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Common Good? Every American has the opportunity to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.... What one does with THEIR opportunity is MORE about personal responsibility and less about common good... To find a 'good' that is common between each and every person is difficult because common good can change among individuals, families, communities, etc, etc...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:39 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Yes but the powers that be have too much invested in keeping us divided so we aren't paying attention to what they are doing.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 7:57 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• It would be nice but not likely. What I consider my middle ground is still miles away from what your middle ground is. (General you not OP or anyone else.)
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 8:50 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Would be nice, wouldn't it? But I don't know, too many extremists (on BOTH sides) out there right now...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:23 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• It would be nice but too many are so fueled by their hatred of the opposing party they could agree with them and not admit it.
    Anonymous

• The problem is that everyone have a different idea of what "the common good" is.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 7:44 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Every American has the opportunity to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.... What one does with THEIR opportunity is MORE about personal responsibility and less about common good...

***

^^^ THIS!!!!!!!!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:51 PM on Mar. 1, 2011