Adults and Tonsils

I had strep for the first time in about 15 years back in December. My tonsils were abcessed. It was horrible! Now in March I still hve a swollen tonsil (left). I was put on Augmenten again to see if it goes down (I also have red sinuses so she put me on this med to also prevent an infection). If they do not go down and I need to see and ENT I will be scared. I hear so many horror stories of getting your tonsils out as an adult. Did you have yours removed as an adult or anyone you know? What is your/their story? How was it? Thanks!

Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 7:22 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Health

• Dh had his done at 27 - he also had some sinus reconstruction stuff, etc - way more than a typical tonsilectomy! He recuperated fine, healed fine, no complications, and was back to work part-time after less than a week, and full time after 3 (doc wouldn't let him go back sooner, because of the job he was working at the time).

FIL had his done about 8 or 9 years ago, in his upper 50s - he also recovered fine, despite his more-extensive-than-DH's surgery and diabetes. He actually said, after he was all healed up, that it was the best decision he'd made in a long time.

My dad had his done a few years ago - he's a huge wimp, so he was a big baby about it, but he recovered just fine in the normal (2 weeks) amount of time.

As long as you follow doctor's orders, don't overdo anything as far as food or activity goes, it's fine. I WANT to get mine out but no one will without a better reason, even though they're huge.
    Anonymous