Does anyone remember the Y2K scare in 99?

they thought when it struck midnight the power would be off everywhere and the cash machines etc would not work and all. i woke up with my hubby after being married for 1 month and half or so and said hey look the power is on in the truckstop and i am thirsty and hungry so we went in and got some snacks and drinks before heading onto Georgia

WildCat73

Asked by WildCat73 at 7:22 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I definitely remember - my firstborn was in the NICU and we stayed until midnight to make sure she'd be okay! (we had doctor & nurse permission, helped that the census was low!). We did nothing to "prepare", just figured if anytihng happened we'd go with the flow, just like everything else - no panic, no hysteria, just "what happens, happens". Glad we didn't get all worked up ;).
    Anonymous

• I remember it! I was staying in England on an exchange program for the semester and I was invited to stay with a friend over there for a big Y2K party but I opted to come home before b/c I was so freaking nervous that something was going to happen and I wouldn't be able to get back home afterwards ;) How stupid of me!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 7:25 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I went to bed at 9pm because I was too tired.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 7:26 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Actually, some of those concerns were very valid... But not for the reasons people thought. It was bad code, and it meant potential mishaps- however, it was never calculated on the scale that mass hysteria portrayed it to be.

On September 9th 1999 there were several outages as well, because of improper coding. The date its self was the trigger... We had outages in Charlotte.

I equate it to the 2012 BS. Its simply mass hysteria.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:26 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I was on vacation visiting family and I had a flight back home on 1-1-2000.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 7:28 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I remember that. I was a little kid, like 14? My parents stocked up on canned food, batteries, flashlights and canles etc. SO funny :) Looking back, its so silly that we even thought that would happen.
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 7:32 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I remember it, but I didn't worry about it. The only thing I did was manually set the date on the computer. It struck me as weird. They could put the men on the moon, but couldn't think to program a computer to flip the date when it needed a 2 as the leading digit.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:38 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• yes, was huge hype
    and only thing i remember reading that happened is someone was charged like a million dollars on an overdue movie rental
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:25 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I went to bed and had a good nights sleep. My parents and 2 sisters had a party and were so sure everything was going to shut down at midnight. Ithink my mother was almost a little disappointed. She called me the next day and said, "Nothing happened!"
    mlanderson

Answer by mlanderson at 8:28 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My grandma was convinced the world would end! I jsut remember thinking that morning Oh look- we're still here and everything is fine...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:32 PM on Mar. 1, 2011