How do I deal with my man working 3rd shift and barley ever spending time together?

ItIsWhatItIs21

Asked by ItIsWhatItIs21 at 7:32 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Relationships

• Well i sort of know how you feel my husband works from 12pm- 12am m-f he use to just sleep all weekend and sleep till about 30min before he had to go to work. So i talk to him, told him we missed him and we know hes tired thats why i dont bug him during the week unless i
    really need to but the weekend is for us as a family to spend together and that he needed to be a part of it. he didnt get it at first but then i just started to bug him about it and made him feel bad, because i have no family or friends where we live we moved her because my husband got a good job... i hope he realizes that you need him and your family does also
    KatrinaLubsXavi

Answer by KatrinaLubsXavi at 7:46 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I think this is one of those cases where you have to MAKE time. Make a date night when he is off, leave him little notes with his work stuff so he'll see them when he gets ready for work, or leave a note on the front door for when he comes home. Spend a little time together before he goes in, maybe eat a meal together or something.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 7:48 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My fiance works from 9 pm to 8 am 4 days a week. Luckily he has access to the internet at his job and we either text or talk on yahoo either all night or until I fall asleep. Since we have no kids at home during the day(all at school), if I feel like staying up all night talking to him I can. Then I spend part of the day snuggled up with him. We also have allotted family time where we do nothing else but spend time together. Fridays he doesn't go to bed after work and thats our time together to hang out. So I guess the long and the short of it is that we MAKE time for each other. We talk as much as we can and spend as much time together as we can.
    1lv2stks3nlz4ev

Answer by 1lv2stks3nlz4ev at 7:58 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• mine leaves at 6:30 and gets home around 8 am . My kids are teens now so it's a lot easier- they go to school-we have an hour or so before he goes to sleep.

When he worked nights before-when they were little, we fought a LOT- mostly because trying to keep them quiet so he could sleep was a royal pain, and I felt like he needed to be up on the weekend to spend time with us. It used to seriously irritate me that he would sleep all day on his days off too. You eventually get used to it and figure out how to make it work. AND you have to accept the fact that sleeping schedules are hard to change and find ways of spending time after he has had his sleep...go to dinner, go to a movie...stuff you can do later rather than the middle of the day
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:24 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Working your career or working for financial security is important. However it isn't all there is to life. If you feel that way then you should not be a part of a family. Families or about give and take. We support one another and ask for each other's time. If you can't sit down with him and tell him how important all of that is to you then you have some major issues and bitterness with ensue. I would get your thoughts together and when you have set aside a time to talk to him about this. Tell him how much you respect his position with working and he is appreciated for all he provides with his job but there is an important balance he has been missing from. See what happens. Just make sure you don't come off defensive because he will most likely take it like you don't think his job and how it helps the family means anything.
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 9:20 PM on Mar. 1, 2011