Did your baby eat baby food?

My DD will be 6 mos on Thursday and does not like baby food or rice cereal. I'm not sure what to do as my DS did not have this issue. She shows interest in the food we eat and I have given her mashed potatos and she has also tried refried beans. She will grab at anything we are eating and try to get it in her mouth and we let her try things with in reason. But whenever we try to give her baby food and rice cereal mixed with my breastmilk she just gags and spits it out. Any suggestions???

andria82

Asked by andria82 at 7:32 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My dd was the same way. All i did was mash up whatever we were eating (as long as it was safe for her to eat) and fed that to her. I found it easier & healthier than using baby food. I never once purchased baby food, she ate everything we ate. I just mashed up our food or some fruit here at home, or put it in the little food processor. I made all her baby food, it was so super easy. Never understood why parents bought jarred baby food.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:36 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I had one son who seemed to be allergic to everything. I never bought baby food for him I just made my own. Ultimately it was way cheaper.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:38 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• No. Never. I got a baby food grinder and used that. We have a fairly clean diet, so there was never much of anything that they couldn't have straight from the table. I also didn't push solids until they were ready for them, meaning could pinch and pick up a piece of food, bring it to their mouth and eat it- without spitting it out.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:39 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• She is old enough to have soft table food mashed up. Plenty of babies don't ever have baby food and go directly to table food.

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/index.htm

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:40 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• By the way, commercial baby food tastes like butt! You should always taste before you feed :)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:40 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I do try all of her food. I will admit it is gross. But of course I can't eat veggies with out pepper and butter. I am currently in the process of making more healthy meals for my family. I will admit we've been a HH and other boxed meals family for a while.
    andria82

Comment by andria82 (original poster) at 7:57 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I would check out baby led weaning. It is mostly a European thing, but that is what we followed. Basically you give them what you are eating either in one of those mesh feeders or mashed up or I used to give broccoli trees around 10 months old. Neither of mine got any sort of commercial baby food and didn't get purees either. They also didn't really eat much other than breastmilk until they were about 9 months old by their choice.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:20 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• i made baby food out of our table food. i cook pretty healthy though. mine is now almost two and she eats really good. loves veggies, salad, meats... everything. no eating struggles with her.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 8:42 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• check out wholesomebabyfood.com u can make ur own baby food! or just feed her wat u are eating! i made my own baby food for my dd when she was 7months old and then at 8 months she started table food!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 9:11 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My son wouldn't really touch anything but breastmilk until he was over 9 months old (and I made it all homemade!!) The first thing he ate was mashed up avocado and banana, only spent a couple months on the homemade baby food and then it was just soft versions of pretty much whatever we were eating.
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 2:41 PM on Mar. 2, 2011