What do you put in your meatballs?

I change it every time but usually it's: minced garlic, parmesan cheese, egg, and bread crumbs. What do you like to add?

Farrahann

Asked by Farrahann at 7:39 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I put what you do along with onion powder and chopped cooked spinach.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:40 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I add the same as you plus salt and onion.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 7:42 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I just got a receipe that has stove top stuffing in it and it is to DIE for!!!
    andria82

Answer by andria82 at 7:42 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I use tomatoe paste sometimes, bread crumbs, fresh garlic, eggs, onion, salt, pepper and sometimes change it up based on the dish by adding oregano, basil, or cheese, or even some hot peppers!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:47 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I change up the spices each time, but my standard basic recipe is: per 1 lb of meat: 1/2 cup minute rice (been using brown lately and it's wonderful), 1 egg, 1/2 - 1 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese (flavor changes). I usually add about 1/4 cup ketchup, but sometimes use bbq sauce or even steak sauce instead. Tomato sauce or paste is good too, then use Italian seasoning & mozzerella cheese. The plainer they are, the more the kids like them, but I love to add onion (real, chopped fine, or dried minced), pepper, parsley, cumin, sage if I have both pork & beef in them, thyme, I've done rosemary but didn't like it, garlic...not always everything at once of course, I just add what sounds good each time - and cheddar cheese always means extra garlic ;).
    Anonymous

• i mix ground beef & pork. I add fresh grated parm., fresh basil, fresh oregano, eggs, oatmeal, salt, pepper, a pinch of sugar, fresh garlic, onion and just a bit of tomato paste. I'm sure there is something i am missing.

I also make bitchin Swedish meatballs which have a lot of allspice in them. Very yummy, almost the same except minus the parm, garlic & oregano & add a ton of allspice.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:57 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• About the same as yours but I put onions.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:21 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I also add a little bit of Worcestershire, siracha and old bay too
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 8:38 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Thank you all for the response .. I've never thought of spinach, gonna try that. ...and oatmeal, not something I would have thought of but definitely gonna try. Now the stove top recipe I'm already googleing. Just want to add that I cook my meatballs in my tomato sauce.. I just simmer them in the sauce for about 45 min..it gives the sauce such a wonderful deep flavor. I only mention it because it never occurred to me until a chef told me. Thought I'd pass it on. Hope this gets more hits, love hearing everyone's ideas.

Farrahann

Comment by Farrahann (original poster) at 10:21 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• The oatmeal does the same as putting bread crumbs in there, but it adds fiber & soaks the juices & flavor better IMO.

The whole point of putting breadcrumbs or oatmeal in them, is to soak up the juices it releases when cooking. Tt keeps them moist. Oatmeal works GREAT for this. I use it in meatloaf too.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:32 AM on Mar. 3, 2011