Anyone prescribed this for their infant?

My daughter is almost 6 months old...I took her to the doctor and she has an ear infection in both ears. He said one ear is very severe. He put her on cephalaxin and prescribed tylenol with codeine. I didn't know if tylenol with codeine is safe...it wasn't her regular pediatrician. I took her to our clinic after hours. I'm not going to give it to her until I ask her regular doctor about it.

BWIND

Asked by BWIND at 7:44 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ask the pharmacist, they know more about drugs than the docs do
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 7:48 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Idk about a young baby having codeine, but it would help her sleep - it is so hard for a baby (and mommy) to sleep well with an ear infection - so I see his reasoning (if that is why he did it) but yeah, I'd be really leary of giving a 6 month old that too!
    Anonymous

• I've taken tylenol with codeine on several occasions. Knocked me for a loop each time. Last time was about a year ago when I had all of my wisdom teeth pulled. I only took it at night to help me sleep comfortably.

If you are worried about it, call the pharmacy.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:51 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My DS got that after his open heart surgery. In 4 kids and about a million ear infections, we've never been prescribed that as a pain reliever for it.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 7:57 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My son got it right after one of his surgeries. (he was 16 months old) It didn't even knock him out. Must have taken care of the pain, it was hard to keep him as still as the doctor wanted him to be for the first 24 hours.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:05 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• my 6 month old had an ear infection aan amoxicillian was given, I would ask some other doc
    dawnmichelle3

Answer by dawnmichelle3 at 8:31 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• the cephalexin is a routine antibiotic....not sure about the codeine....i would ask a pharmacist about it if you're really uncomfortable with the doc's recommendation
    firstimer9510

Answer by firstimer9510 at 9:06 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• They gave it to my brother when he was that age because of a severe ear infection.

All it did to him was make him bounce off the walls. Just to be safe though, I'd ask my regular pedi. Good luck.
    FuzzybugsMommy

Answer by FuzzybugsMommy at 11:01 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Yes, my youngest daugter was prescibed it as the ear infection can be quite painful. It was prescribed by her pediatrician though... so I trust them. I would give her regular Tylenol and Motrin until you seek the opinion of the Pedi.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 11:06 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I talked to her pediatrician today and she said not to give it to her. She called in some numbing ear drops....I am glad I checked!!!
    BWIND

Comment by BWIND (original poster) at 8:39 AM on Mar. 2, 2011