How do you tell your 8 yr old she is overweight and has to diet when doctors cant even come up with a diagnosis to the problem?

Timson77

Asked by Timson77 at 7:45 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Don't focus on the fact that she is over weight when talking to her, just tell her we need to change how she eats so that she can be super healthy & live a super long life.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:48 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Thank you but they keep changing her diet si now she wont eat anything . I have told her she is beautiful. and I am proud of her for trying .
    Timson77

Comment by Timson77 (original poster) at 7:50 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I wouldn't say anything to that affect, rather I would make this into a challenge, one that the whole family is included on. Start rearranging diets, eating habits, exercising, etc, to fit everyone into. Do not make it targeted toward her or that will cause resentment. It's actually going to be a fun journey for your whole entire family to whip them all into shape...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:50 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I think this would be a time that everyone in the family could get healthier (not saying that you're not already). I would think that if everyone would go along with her diet, then it wouldn't make her feel so bad about just herself.
    PhoenixsMommy10

Answer by PhoenixsMommy10 at 7:50 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I agree with the other posters. the whole family can change eating and exercise and nothing needs to be said. Don't let processed sugar in the house and get everyone up and moving everyday.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:03 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• You don't. You make this a family "get healthier" project.
    Get active! Take family walks after dinner; take family bike rides on weekends.
    Stop buying junk foods.
    Cut way back on meat and dairy
    Make water the primary (or sole) beverage in the house
    Build meals and snacks around vegetables, whole grains legumes and fruits.
    Throw away all foods with simple/white grains, and highly processes sugars, like high fructose corn syrup.

I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, healthy, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:32 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My 7 year old DD is overweight. To help her, we made it a family thing. I changed how all 6 (we have 4 children total) of us ate and we all started going for walks and dance working out in the living room. We never told her that it had anything to do with her, just that Mommy and Daddy wanted us all to be a bit healthier. It helped her drop from a size 10 to a size 8. They don't know why she is overweight either bc she ate healthy and was active even before.
    Lunagirl02

Answer by Lunagirl02 at 10:08 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Tell her/the entire family that you would like for all of you to get more healthy together. Join a club like the YMCA that is family focused and work as a unit to lose the weight. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 10:24 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• you don't tell her, you provide her with and the rest of the family with healthy food options, fruit for snacks and maybe a family walk after dinner now that it is getting warmer outside

you don't tell her anything you just put healthy living into action
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 10:46 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Have the whole family make the chang with her. I don't think I would tell her anything really. Just make the changes. Have you ever considered taking her to a nature path? I will go to a nature path any day over a doctor. Issues that plagued me as a teen were never really figured out even though I went to 3 different gynecologist. Less then three months after seeing the nature path my dh's family has been going to for years and years, we knew what was wrong and what needed to be done. I mean if the doctors have not figured out what is going on, then what do you have to loose?
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:18 PM on Mar. 2, 2011