How can i get my 14month old to go o sleep?

I know I'm suppose to let him cry himself to sleep but is he too old?

And what is the time limit to let them cry?

EheartsZ07

Asked by EheartsZ07 at 7:52 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can do CIO from about 4 mos on. You have to determine how long yo will wait before you go back in and rub his back ad let him know that you are there, but don't pick him up. Just quietly tell him that it is time to go to sleep. It will take a few days of this so be prepared to not give in and stand r ground. Good luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:55 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• BTW you may have to go in multiple times before he is asleep for the night.
    coala

• You are NOT supposed to let him CIO that is just how SOME parents deal with it. If you want to do it then you really need to read up on it before putting it into practice. I personally would NOT allow my children to CIO.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:15 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• there's nothing you're supposed to do, whatever works for the kid, mine falls asleep breastfeeding then i leave and when she wakes up at night i just lay with her
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:40 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• If you want to do CIO. He is not too old actually with CIO the older the better. Don't let the baby cry for longer than 20 mins. Start with 5 or 10 mins whatever you are most comfortable with. Go in and tell him he is not alone and it is time to sleep. But don't pick him up. Slowly over two weeks make the amount of time you let him cry a little longer (again never longer than 20 mins) He should get the idea that crying does not get him out of the crib. If CIO is not for you you could try co sleeping. Just let him go to bed with you or lay with him until he falls asleep and then move him. Or leave him in the bed to sleep with you. Also does he have anything her uses to sooth himself ( a blanket, toy, ect.) My daughter has both and she will not sleep without them. but she goes to bed by herself very easily. She is 16 months. I did use CIO But I started it at 6 months and it only took 4 or 5 nights for her to stop crying for me.
    Anon344

Answer by Anon344 at 8:54 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Also do you have a bedtime routine? It can help them wind down for bed. We do Dinner, Bath, Cup of milk, Brush teeth, Read books, Then bed. My daughter knows books mean its time to calm down and go to sleep. She is always out 5 mins after I leave her room.
    Anon344

Answer by Anon344 at 9:00 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• After bath we read a story and I tuck her in. I explain to her that I'm going to leave the light on and that I will just be downstairs that I'm not going bye bye. Then I tell her how after she goes nite nite we're going to have a nice big breakfast and play. Usually reassures her enough. I leave the light on until she falls asleep and then I turn it off leaving just the nite light.

Usually when she screams its because she has to go potty but doesn't understand she's allowed to get out of bed for that. She thinks she needs permission.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 10:06 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• His bed time varies but most of the time it is at 9:00. The only thing that seems to soothe him is his bottle and I know I'm not suppose to.put him to bed with it. Sometimes he falls asleeo in my arms with his bottle and sometimes I lay him in the bed with me and he rolls around until he falls asleep.

The big problem is going to be him not sleeping with me. When he wakes up and doesnt see me beside him, he screams!!

Thanks for all of your answers (:
    EheartsZ07

Comment by EheartsZ07 (original poster) at 10:23 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• im going threw the same thing with my 14month old and i really want her to fall asleep by herself since i have another one due in Sept!!!! right now we give her a bottle and rock her to sleep she usually sleeps the whole night once in a while she wakes up around 3 but the doesnt fall back asleep till 6am not crying just doesnt want to sleep. I think im gonna start "sleep training" this weekend but start it off with the bottle and rocking her but not rocking her for as long and slowly lower the time i rock her see if that works good luck
    tomsjennabean

Answer by tomsjennabean at 2:12 PM on Mar. 2, 2011