Republicans waging a war on women's health and freedoms?

Republicans in the House of Representatives are mounting an assault on women’s health and freedom that would deny millions of women access to affordable contraception and life-saving cancer screenings and cut nutritional support for millions of newborn babies in struggling families. And this is just the beginning. The budget bill pushed through the House last Saturday included the defunding of Planned Parenthood and myriad other cuts detrimental to women. It’s not likely to pass unchanged, but the urge to compromise may take a toll on these programs.

The egregious cuts in the House resolution include the elimination of support for Title X, the federal family planning program for low-income women that provides birth control, breast and cervical cancer screenings, and testing for H.I.V. and other sexually transmitted diseases. In the absence of Title X’s preventive care, some women would die. The Guttmacher Institute, a leading authority on reproductive health, says a rise in unintended pregnancies would result in some 400,000 more abortions a year.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/26/opinion/26sat1.html?scp=1&sq=war%20on%20women&st=cse

tasches

Asked by tasches at 8:03 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Wawawawaw...boo hoo. I can't figure out how to keep from getting knocked up unless the govt is involved. People need to grow up and take responsiblity for themselves.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:44 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Why is this needed when there is Obamacare? ObamaCare takes care of everything, right?
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 8:09 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• eye rolling

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:05 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Don't forget the idiot who wants miscarriages investigated and rape victims referred to as "accusers"
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 9:04 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• The link is a New York Times OPINION piece. Nice...
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:59 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Typical hypocrisy from a party which purports to support ' freedom' but which will use the law to undermine, at any opportunity, womens rights, gay rights and now it appears unions rights to collective bargaining .

How exactly is it limiting YOUR freedoms? Your still free to get BC and go to planned parenthood, the taxpayers just aren't going to foot the bill for it. Our country is BROKE, you can't have everything handed to you. Sometimes you have to take responsibility for yourself and that includes paying for your own "family planning." You in my response is a general "you."

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:26 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Good grief. No one is 'waging war on freedom'. If anyone is waging war on anything, it's war on unnessary expenditures. People need to take responsibility for their own bodies. You don't want a baby or an STD, well, be responsible and take care of yourself. Insist that your partner use a condom and you take the pill. And don't expect the taxpayers to cover your personal expenses for your sex life. Frankly, I don't want to be involved in anyone's sex life but my own, but if the government insists on spending my tax dollars on reproductive causes, then I'm involved. Ick.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 5:21 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• nice straw man, AW. or do you have a link to anyone ever making such a claim?

Answer by autodidact an hour ago

ADD, Those were questions, not statements... But to be perfectly honest, yes, I was under the impression that Obamacare was the answer to EVERYONE'S h/c issues... And WOW, it sure helped out our family, our h/c costs only increased by several thousand dollars, it's so great I don't even know where to begin! ~~~extreme sarcasm~~~
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 10:28 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I am so sick of progressive women expecting everyone else to be responsible for the progressive womans reproductive decisions. It is time the elite socialist woman steps up to the plate and accepts responsibility for her own morality and stops asking for everyone else to condone her moronic, everything goes until I am caught, decisions about her reproductive consequences. Abortion advocates are akin to Margaret Sanger's philosophy (the founder of Planned Parenthood) in that they are unilaterally deciding who lives or dies with special emphasis on black babies, just as Sanger extolled...she wanted blacks destroyed in the womb to make life better for what she considered better people. There is ample resources to fund screenings for medicaid recipients and this question is typical socialist diversion. Planned Parenthood should receive NO federal funding whatsoever.

annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 11:18 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• well, Janet, we don't want to be like Greece.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:49 AM on Mar. 2, 2011