My daughter (3 weeks old) will only sleep if her head is elevated above her butt.

She only sleeps if I'm holding her, in her car seat or in her bassinett last night after I put a blanket in there to put her head up higher and laid her on her back.. before that I couldn't get her to sleep in her bassinett for more than 30 minutes before she would wake up.. does anyone else have this problem? Any other suggestions??

cvinther2006

Asked by cvinther2006 at 7:52 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• .....is she fussy alot? Cuz it sounds like to me if she'll only sleep with her head elevated then maybe she has a problem with acid reflux, and by having her head elevated it relieves the gas pressure in her tummy and throat, and she can get some rest. One more tale-tell clue would be if she spits up quite often right after she eats. That would be my only explanation, hope that helps :)
    Nat_n_LilsMom

Answer by Nat_n_LilsMom at 7:59 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Does she have reflux? Or possibly problems breathing while laying on her back? My youngest now 15yrs old had reflux and we had to put him in his car seat to sleep so he wouldn't wake up crying.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 7:54 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• It could be a breathing problem. You should check with a doctor.
    Anonymous

• Most likely - reflux.
    Since you have a bassinett, try putting a phone book under the legs at the head of the basinett to raise the head a little bit.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:39 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• At Babies-R-Us there is this little wedge thing. If has sides to hold the baby on their side, if that is how they sleep. And it's adjustable. We have a simple one. I think in just looking at things there the other day, it looked as if there was one that was like a slope to have that elevation your baby is looking for. You can always search on babies r us on the internet ... sorry i can't give you the exact name of it.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:36 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I definitely recommend the "wedge" pillow, but DO NOT put a baby to sleep in their car seat. It raises the risk of SIDS by half, as does anything that compresses the chest in the way that the car seat does (this includes swings, bouncy chairs, everything).
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 10:55 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• My 4 week old daughter has the same problem. Does she have a stuffy nose? My little girls nose is a little plugged up. The little bulb (I call it a snot sucker...not sure what the proper term is) won't get the mucus out. My Pediatrician said that little babies her age don't breathe well through their mouth yet, so sitting up some helps the mucus to drain out of their nose so they can breath better. He also said that if it gets too bad, I could get some saline drops from the baby section at the grocery store. So far, she has been able to sneeze most of it out:) Of course, you should always ask your ped. if you are not sure:)
    cristie1276

Answer by cristie1276 at 11:51 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• my lil one has to have her feet proped up,lol
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 11:53 AM on Nov. 21, 2008