tasches

Asked by tasches at 8:13 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Relationships

• Many victims wait years to tell. It isn't something that just goes away when it stops. The pain of abuse can last a lifetime. For many years women, especially, were not encouraged to tell. They were often victimized again by the justice system.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:30 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Not everyone is willing to share things so personal the minute they happen. Maybe it's because they are at terms with it now.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:17 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• attention
    notjstasocermom

Answer by notjstasocermom at 8:21 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I agree with the first two posters. There could be many diff factors involved.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:26 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• GrnEyedGrandma, beautifully said! Couldn't have said it better. I don't think it's fair to say she's trying to get attention just becuase of celebrity. Maybe she's trying to draw attention to the cause by using her celebrity to show she's human.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:33 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I was abused for 8 years by a family member ( started when i was 8 and stopped when i was 16). I didn't tell anyone till after I was married. Even then I wasn't ready to tell and it was hard as hell. But the effects of it were causing issues in my new marriage and I had to let it out. IT felt soooooo good to tell. Now (14 years after telling) I can freely talk about it when it bothers me and "move on".
    LorisChar

Answer by LorisChar at 8:43 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• It could be their need for attention.
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 5:48 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• It takes years to realize that you are the victim and have nothing to feel guilty about.  Guilt is a very debilitating thing and can

hold a person prisoner.  I don't know about anyone else, but for me, it became easier the older I got.  For some reason the

older you get, the less it matters what people think and you can truly be yourself.

JeannieBee

Answer by JeannieBee at 7:25 AM on Mar. 2, 2011