Have women's lives improved?

Women are still more likely to work in fields with lower wages, and are more likely to use those lower wages to support entire families alone, making it more likely that they also live in poverty. This statistic has stayed almost constant since 1966.

Women have caught up in education and employment but still earn significantly less than men, and are more likely to live in poverty, according to a White House report released on Tuesday.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/01/women-in-america-report_n_829691.html?ir=Impact

tasches

Asked by tasches at 8:21 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Okay...this question has been presented so many times on here, I have a question...

If women were equal to or better than their male counterparts in the exact same position, and yet commanded less money, because they're women...then wouldn't it make sense for a company to hire ONLY women, and SAVE money in salaries?!

But what happens when said women are out on maternity leave, home with their sick children and/or have to take them to doctors appointments, have to care for a spouse, parent, or close family member? All of those days missed (in general) mean there is no one doing their job, or that someone else in the company needs to pick up the slack!

As a mother and wife, I KNOW (and fully accept) that my family comes first (while making every accommodation NOT to impact my job), it is still considered to be the traditional role of women to be the primary caretakers, and as a result pay scales are set accordingly.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:09 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• When I was single and childless, I was able to command a healthy 6-figure income--surpassing a number of my male co-workers (same education levels, roles and responsibilities, because THEN, my job was my life! I gave up MANY things in order to pursue that fast-track career and I was compensated nicely for doing so!

Now that I'm a mom, I am perfectly fine with someone else making those kinds of sacrifices, as my priorities have shifted considerably! Do you see what I'm saying?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:11 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Imo,As for the report, women are more likely to live in poverty because more of them are single parents. A lot would change if MORE women as young girls and individuals respected themselves enough to make themselves and a career a priority over some boy or partner they think they love. Too many women fall into relationships at a young age and lack the confidence to demand better of themselves.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:27 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I live a great life. I have been the top earner in a male dominated field. Not because of some entitlement, feminist idealogy. But because I got out there~Got dirty in the construction field and worked my way up as I worked my way through school. graduated college and became one of the youngest project mgr in a nationally known construction firm. When it came time to review~ I didn't settle for anything less than what I felt I was worth. As it turned out, I left corporate America making more $ than my male co workers... Have ran 2 successful consulting/contracting businesses all while raising 2 children with at many times deployed spouse. I wouldn't change a thing... My success is because of how hard I worked, not because I felt entitled to be equal.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:22 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Of course women's lives have improved from where things used to be. If you know anything about women's history you would clearly see how much more freedom there is. However, there is still much more needed progress. I think it is an absurd excuse to say that because women are the primary caregivers their salary is set accordingly. Men can have families and work and find a balance and still make a good salary based on their qualifications. While women may be qualified and be short changed because they are a part of a family. She is not being accepted for her worth. That is injustice. If a women gets the proper education, obtains the proper skills, and or compares significantly to the males in her field then she deserves the equal respect even if she has to miss a day due to sick kids. Women are still expected to be the primary caregivers too because women aren't supporting each other to rise above that stigma.
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 10:06 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Have you ever read Suze Orman's books? This is the same thing she is talking about. I guess because we have less self worth.. unfortunately.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:25 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Women spend more time picking each other apart for men/women issues. Women hold women back more than men seem to hold them back. I have seen lots of improvement with the male attitude about a woman's place. I know there are still very ignorant men, they are afraid to give up any power. But if women supported each other and tried to rise to the top I think they could. Being at the tip means more female voices to help set the tone for society. We are half of the population and we deserve to have half of the say. Instead we see women frowning upon women who take chances that seem to be only for men. It is destructive.

IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 10:10 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Womens lives have improved greatly compared to when I was younger. It is up to us to work hard to achieve the same rights/wages as men. My husband & I both took turns with the kids if they were sick, snow days etc. Because he knew how important my education and work were to me, and I do get paid the same as my male counterparts in my field.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:14 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Lori and grly...  bump

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 10:38 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• When I was younger, single with no kids I made just as much as my male counterparts in our bank. I made a bigger bonus every year though...why...I was better at the job than they were.

If I went back to work in the same industry I certainly would not expect to make as much as a guy my age/education level. Even though I have started started/purchased & ran 4 successful businesses...I am out of the loop.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:40 AM on Mar. 2, 2011