How would you react

if your 9 year old wanted to become a vegetarian???

skittles1108

Asked by skittles1108 at 8:27 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Hmm,why not?! Whatever,let him try.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:28 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I would like it. It would be reason for us all to give it a try.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:30 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Let them. Make sure you read up on how to give them enough protein and let them try it for a while.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:30 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Ask him what his reason is? See what they are telling him/her in school, and have a discussion discuss the pros and cons see were their real intentions and motivations are.
    Southlakeblondy

Answer by Southlakeblondy at 8:33 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I was 9 when I announced my intent to become vegetarian to be very much NOT vegetarian parents. At first they tried to force me to eat meat, but I wouldn't. Then they just went along, like "okay, you can have whatever we're having, just without the meat". Then, after some time went by and I was still not eating meat, they finally realized (much to their chagrin) that I was serious and it wasn't a phase or an attention-stunt. They began trying to accommodate me, at least a little, like making extra beans to go in my tacos instead of meat, stuff like that. They didn't fall over themselves trying to support me, but if they'd continued arguing or pressuring me about it, it would have been something that would stick with me in a very negative way to this very day, I can assure you.
    By the way, I am 34 now and still don't eat meat.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:42 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Wouldn't bother me a bit. My 16 year old is a vegetarian he knows how to make his lentils or other things he has for protein and will eat the 3-4 different veggies I make for dinner along with it. I only make meat 3 times a week and I have been thinking of cutting that back to 1 day a week or cutting it out completely since a vegetarian diet is more healthy.

FricknFrack

Answer by FricknFrack at 8:43 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• What I'm trying to say is that if the child is serious about it, it's not worth blowing a relationship over. Indulging him or her for a short time may be just that--a short term experiment after which said child resumes meat eating. Or, like with me, it could be very much a part of that child, something very personal. Either way, it's only to the parents' benefit to give it a shot--it's not like it's hurting anyone.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:44 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I would educate them on whole protein and healthy food choices, but would also start the talk about body image and disorders. Sometimes eating disorders start to pop up at that age . . . the first clue is often "vegetarianism". So, just make sure you are monitoring.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:47 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I wouldn't mind either, but I would speak to his odc about some vitamin supplements. There may be vitamins u can only get by eating meat, IDK for sure.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 10:57 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I would ask why and then say ok cool, ill give it a try with you. I have thought about it myself.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 12:12 AM on Mar. 2, 2011