Problems with your childrens' grandparents not acting like grandparent?

Just want to know if anyone else has this problem. My mother-in-law babysits my son (2) since he was bout 9 months. But when I come home from work he is in a diaper that is soaking wet, some days hasn't had lunch (she says he never told her he was hungry), and sometimes he is asleep and has been for 3 hours but she will not wake him up. It is her first grandchild and you would just think that she would take better care of him (being the only grandchild she has). I try to talk to her about it but it is a lost hope cause "she has raised 3 kids" and of course thinks she know everything. I mean I am kinda wanting another child but if she is going to be watchin he or she while I work I don't want my infant to be treated like my 2 yr old is being treated. I have told my husband about his mom so he talks to her and she gets better for about a week. then back to the same sh*t. I have even told her I was going to put Logan in daycare if things didn't change but it doesn't help. I guess cause she knows we realy can't afford daycare and I work on the weekends so she would still have to watch him. I guess I just don't know how to get it through her head that she needs to get off fb and take care of my child. EEEEERRRR!!!

becky0829

Asked by becky0829 at 8:35 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• If she is not taking care of your child why not get another sitter?? Maybe pay one that will take care of your child????
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 8:37 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My inlaws live across the country (doesnt call, write, visit, nothing) my parents dont seem to know how to connect to their grandkids and dont even babysit or anything. My mom might but not all of the kids at once and only for an hour or so at a time.
    Anonymous

• If you really think that she is neglecting your child, then you are neglecting your child by not rectifying it. If she did not live close by you would either not work or find another sitter.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:38 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Why is it her job to take care of your baby?
    Why are you wanting to have another child if you can't afford daycare?
    And if she's helping you out, and not abusing your child, why complain? Is your child suffering? Or are you being picky?
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:39 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Its time to find another sitter or he needs to go to daycare. She is being irresponsible and just plain lazy. As an adult and a mother she should not be given chances. Im not saying you shouldnt give them but they shouldnt even be a thought in your mind. And def dont base a second child on HER. Let her be a gmom and not a sitter and find someone else that is willing to appreciate the position. GL!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:39 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• If a sitters care isn't up to your standards find a new sitter. As for her being a Grandmother..maybe she isn't acting much like a grandma because she doesn't feel much like a Grandma. She is being used as a free babysitter. Grandmas see themselves taking the child for the day..or even an overnight, spoiling them...and then sending them home. That isn't what she's doing. Has it occured to you that perhaps she is letting his care slide because she WANTS you to take him somewhere else but doesn't want to look bad and say No, I can't watch him anymore?
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:40 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I think that you need to find someone more responsible to watch your child

Answer by rkoloms at 8:45 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Has it occured to you that perhaps she is letting his care slide because she WANTS you to take him somewhere else but doesn't want to look bad and say No, I can't watch him anymore?

Maybe its me but its pretty sick and cowardly to let a childs care slide because she doesnt want to make this her full time "job". Thats a really bad excuse. And if it is the reason then shes got issues.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:53 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• And its one thing if you are out partying and neglecting him. But your not. (im assuming). She should want to spend her time with him and if she doesnt then again you need to find another form of childcare
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:54 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I don't mean to be hurtful with what I am about to say. I totally understand where you are coming from. If your mother-in-law is neglecting your child while you are at work and someone finds out about her neglect, your mother-in-law can and will be reported to Child Protective Services. I guarantee you that there will be an investigation, not only of your mother-in-law, but also of you and your dh. There will be repercussions because you and your dh knew about how she was neglecting your child and didn't take him out of the bad situation. The employees of Child Protective Services are required to investigate any and all complaints. If they don't do anything about a bad situation, they can and have been put in jail. I certainly don't want anything to happen to any of you. It is a good thing that you are concerned about your child's welfare. It shows that you are a loving mom. Good luck on decisions.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 8:56 PM on Mar. 1, 2011