Tongue clipping?

I was just informed yesterday my baby girl may have to get that band under her tongue clipped because it is causing issues with her breatfeeding. Has anyone else had to go through this? Is it painful for her? I'm pretty sure I will end up crying about it more than she will! haha

kristina.de

Asked by kristina.de at 9:13 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is it only while BF? Can you bottle feed or will she need it done anyway? Just curious b/c Im not familiar with it. GL!!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:14 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• i would get a second opinion (and third and fourth). not familiar with the topic... but i wouldnt do it.
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 9:17 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Poor baby. I am sure it will hurt, but no idea how much or for how long.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:24 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• You can get it done at most dentists offices. They do it with a laser and its not too bad. My son had to have it done. As he got older it also affected his speech so it had to be done. The earlier you can get it done the better...
    My_3_Babies

Answer by My_3_Babies at 9:26 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• i would get a few more opinions before i mad a serious decision lik tht
    mssweetwendy

Answer by mssweetwendy at 9:28 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• It's common, and from what I understand, a very quick, simple procedure. If mom were to bottle feed, there is still the possibility of having to have it done, depending on the severity of the tie. It's also sometimes necessary to do regardless of how baby is fed, to avoid speech issues later.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:37 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My son had it done while we were still at the hospital. He was only 1-2 days old. I wasnt there when they actually did it, they took him somewhere else to do it. But when he came back he acted no different....didnt act like he was in pain. It is a normal procedure, my sister had it done when she was a baby too. Its not that serious and I think you should do it! You will deffinetly see a difference in the way he breastfeeds after its done! And it is also a good idea to do it even if you change to bottle feeding like I did, because it can cause other problems later in life, like speech.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 9:55 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• You are right... you will cry more than she will.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:31 PM on Mar. 2, 2011