What could he be allergic to?

I have noticed recently, every time we have spaghetti my son (almost 7) vomits. This makes the 3rd time he has done this (Just made the connection tonight). He already had a blood allergy test done and nothing he is allergic to is in it. Can new allergy develop? Should I have him retested?

SWEETPEAS3MOM

Asked by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 9:19 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Health

• Does he get red around his mouth ? Does he react to other acids? You can develope new allergies at anytime. Do you use mushrooms? Does he have troubl with other things that contain gluten?
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:22 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Is it just spaghetti? He MAY be eating too much at one time. Try giving him some noodles with butter and see if he vomits THAT up. Try different sauces to see if THAT'S the culprit.

My first instinct is that he's eating too much though.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:27 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• No red around mouth
    does not react to other acids
    yes... mushrooms but I have always used them...
    no problems with gluten to my knowledge
    Thank you!!!!!
    oh I should add that I did change the noodles I use. I changed brands and instead of angel hair pasta I usually use i used regular spaghetti noodles
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Comment by SWEETPEAS3MOM (original poster) at 9:29 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• That used to happen to my son after eating kernel corn, his doctor suggested that I reintroduce it when he could chew it completely so that it would be better digested. I waited a few years and it hasn't happened since.
    iwantwins

Answer by iwantwins at 10:08 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Did they test for the IgG antibody? Throwing up is technically not an allergic reaction. He may be highly sensitive to something in the spaghetti or sauce. This wouldn't register on the rast test for IgE antibodies.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:25 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• We had the IgE screen
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Comment by SWEETPEAS3MOM (original poster) at 10:13 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Go back to the angel hair pasta using the exact same sauce and see if that makes a difference. It may be a simple matter that the regular pasta is too much for his tummy. My GD is like that. As long as she has angel hair she's great..the minute you give her regular or heaven forbid penne or rigatoni her stomach can't handle it. You've ruled out most of the big allergy triggers. I would look to your type of pasta, size of serving and how fast is he eating..also..do you cut his pasta up or leave it long? I have to cut it for the kids.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:29 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I didnt cut it. He ate at a normal pace, he actually got done after his sister. I'm going to change back to the other noodles... and see what happens. Thank you for being so helpful!!!!!!
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Comment by SWEETPEAS3MOM (original poster) at 6:53 PM on Mar. 2, 2011