Breastfeeding moms...

I'm starting back to work tomorrow, my little guy is 6 weeks old. Just curious as to how much breast-milk your little one eats or ate at 6 weeks old while you were gone. I'll be gone for 6 hours and I have set aside 3 milk bags of 3 oz I told my Husband to offer the first two ozs and see how he reacts to that and to only offer the 3rd oz if he is still acting hungry. Any suggestions would be great!! :)

nat1387

Asked by nat1387 at 9:26 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds like a good plan. Mine was taking about 2 oz every 3 hours at that age.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:27 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• That will probably work well right now. Be aware his appetite will probably increase quick. My DS was needing 4 oz bottles of BM by 8 weeks, and wanting them every hour sometimes (days I wasn't home to BF). Just make sure you pump at work if you are able, and stock up on as much as you can. :)

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:30 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Baby will need about 1 to 1.25 ounces per hour of seperation. So, I would leave, for 6 hours, 6-8 ounces, probably split 2-3 oz every 2-3 hours.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:31 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• It's really hard to say how much they are taking. I used to pack them in 4 oz bag. and leave 3 bags with the daycare/or my mother-in-law, but my little girl was 3 months old at the time. Even at that, it would take her over an hour to finish the 4 oz bag. I think you have the right idea. If your "little" guy is actually a big guy, 3 oz sounds good. But if you little guy is truly little, then do 2 oz. YOu don't want to waste those precious breastmilk...b/c your milk supply will go down a little bit due to stress/exhausion. Drink lots of water (no sugary drink) if you want to lose weight as well. Good luck! It's not going to be easy, but just take one day at a time.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 9:32 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Just buy some formula to have on hand in case you need it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:17 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My baby would only eat 2-3oz at a time every 2 hours or so from a bottle. I don't think you have to worry about supplementing with formula yet. I would pump 10oz or more while at work and had a freezer full that she soon did not like to different from what she was getting from the breast is all we could figure but by that time I was able to supply enough fresh to keep her happy.
    If your baby is anything like mine was the marathon nursing will begin when you get home. Good luck and hang in there it is totally worth the extra trouble of pumping.
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 10:50 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Think 1-1.25 oz an hour so if you are gone 6 hours nurse before leaving tell dad give a 2-2.5 oz bottle 2 hours later and then 2 hours after than give another 2-2.5 oz bottle and if he can not wait til you get home then give another bottle 2 hours later but most likely you will be home to nurse in time.

NEVER do over a 3 oz bottle with a BF baby, never do more than a slow flow nipple..you can make this work..make sure to ask your questions in the BFing mom group and the working BFing mom group!
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:00 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• You've left more than enough. And you don't need formula.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:26 PM on Mar. 2, 2011