Is walking or riding a bike better for inducing labor?

I've read that riding your bike puts pressure on your cervix and walking uses gravity to your advantage. I'm coming up on 31 weeks and obviously only staying active to be healthy at this point, but once I pass 37 weeks I'd like to know which choice helps more! I work 8hr days as a waitress 4 days a week so am walking and on my feet a lot already, but I'm still a firm believer that walking more for exercise will help her come sooner. :] This is my second child and was lucky enough to have my 9lb baby boy a week early last time. I can only hope this baby is ready to come early too because 10 months is a long time haha

ours

Asked by ours at 9:34 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Pregnancy

• walking
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 9:36 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• There is no way that I could have rode a bike. Too much pressure and I had the blue twinkies going on down there so it was walking for me.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:37 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I can not imagine riding a bike while 9 mos PG, although I did play tennis the day before my daughter was born.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:38 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I'm 7 1/2 months and able to ride my bike, but I know I'm about to get a lot bigger with these next couple months! I guess we'll just see
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 9:40 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Walking. At 9 months I would have fallen off the bike because I had NO balance. I could hardly walk let alone balance.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:52 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I'm sure walking is, because it lets your body shift around better and such. That said, I did go into labor 6 hours after being on an exercise bike (it was a recumbent and totally comfy) with my 2nd :-)
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 9:52 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Why not just let baby come when it's ready? The hormones that trigger labor are sent to your body when surfactants in babies lungs are developed. It works that way for a reason. You can walk, dance, ride bikes, do jumping jacks or what ever you want. It won't work unless it was gonna happen anyway. If your doctor feels the need to induce, they'll let you know.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:57 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I loved walking when I was pregnant. I think it can be a little dangerous to ride a bike late in pregnancy since your sense of balance might be off.
    firstimer9510

Answer by firstimer9510 at 10:11 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• no dat not good at all. stick to walkin
    dona65

Answer by dona65 at 11:28 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• the bike thing makes sense, but with the pregnant clumsies i'd never try it. maybe a three wheeler :)
    ilovemymonsterr

Answer by ilovemymonsterr at 12:56 AM on Mar. 2, 2011