Is it normal for my 4-mo-old to vomit so often without any other symptoms?

My 4-mo-old son has begun vomiting a lot more as of recent. He is a big baby and LOVES to eat. But recently he has been throwing a good portion of it up. It isn't just spit up either, it's curdled when it comes up. I am more concerned because my 3-yr-old had the same issue when he was a baby. We had to take him to the dr and the hospital and it turned out it was taking his body hours to digest anything. On top of that, he had a problem with his throat. Basically, when you swallow, the food/drink is supposed to go into your stomach. His throat was not allowing all the food to go into his stomach though. There is a flap of some sort that is supposed to close off when you swallow. His wasn't closing properly and substance was getting into his lungs. Just a tiny amount, but still...it was scary. He eventually grew out of it right before they had to start the more invasive testing. I don't think that is what is wrong with my baby now, but I don't know why else he wouldn't be able to keep all of his food down. He throws up about 1/4 of the bottle every time. I thought I might be over feeding him at 5-6 ounces every 3-4 hours. But he is so hungry and screams for more and stops himself when he is full. He is always happy, no fever, no colic, no crying...just puking. Help?

Jeannie

Jeannie721

Asked by Jeannie721 at 9:45 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds like reflux. Call the doc and have them see him. this could lead to burning of the esophagus.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:46 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• You're probably right! I never thought of that! My 3-yr-old was diagnosed with that before they realized it was much deeper for him. Thanks!!!
    Jeannie721

Comment by Jeannie721 (original poster) at 9:48 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• What kind of formula are you using? Are you breast feeding? He may be lactose intolerant. Ask the doctor.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 9:49 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Both of my children would occasionally vomit up a meal, usually because they had eaten too much at a time. Try giving him less at a time and waiting like 10 minutes or so before you give him more.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:55 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• He is on Similac Sensitive. It is strange to me because he was fine for 3 months and this.
    Jeannie721

Comment by Jeannie721 (original poster) at 10:07 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I agree it sounds like reflux. Are you laying him down right after eating? Or is he sitting up for a bit before laying down. Don't wait to have it checked out. My son was younger when he was vomiting and he ended up with pneumonia. Good Luck

Danni143

Answer by Danni143 at 10:49 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• It could be acid reflux. It could be that he's gassy and not actually hungry. Try stopping him mid bottle and burping him until he burps at least one good burp, then continuing to feed him.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:00 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I took him to the dr yesterday and he does have reflux...just not acid reflux. So there is no medicine that can help because he isn't hurting when he does it. She called him a happy spitter...LOL

Thank you everyone for the advice! I do love this site! :-)

Jeannie
    Jeannie721

Comment by Jeannie721 (original poster) at 2:06 PM on Mar. 3, 2011