Why do I hve to work so hard to lose weight but they don't?

I am working hard to be healthy. I am losing weight slowly....I am getting better everyday with making healthy choices and drinking more water getting out and exercising....but my sister.....who used to be the same size as me when we were in our teens is now skinny as a rail.

She smokes, drinks pop all day and eats nothing but junk food. I have not seen her drink pure water once. Same thing with my mom....they are both really thin but so unhealthy. Why do I have to work so hard when they can do whatever they want and not worry about gaining a bunch of weight??

omima

Asked by omima at 9:46 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Health

• IDK it does sucks
    Patience909

Answer by Patience909 at 9:51 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Genetic, it sucks. But you know what, all that unhealthy living is not conducive to "looking young". I bet you'll still be looking hot in 10 years when your sister is about to turn into a dried-up raisin.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 10:04 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• It all has to do with metabolism. Search on the net ways to naturally boost yours.
    iwantwins

Answer by iwantwins at 10:04 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• There are other factors that might be causing your issues. It could be chemical/hormonal imbalance of some kind (thyroid issues can cause weight gain/loss issues) Stress is HUGE in weight gain/loss a lot of people don't realize it. If your life is more stressful it could be part of the problem.

Sometimes genetics suck I hear ya. Both my mom and sister have great breasts like full Cs and I am barely a B *pout face* oh well. Hers are going to be at her tummy in 10 years hehe.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 10:13 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• i have been trying to lose weight i gained with my first pregnancy (4yrs ago) i have 2 kids and weigh almost 200 my SIL has 6 kids and is a size 3! i just dont understand either and all she does is sit on the couch. good luck just hang in there!
    newlife627

Answer by newlife627 at 10:15 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• It's just genetics and metabolism. I have the same problem. My mom and all my brothers can eat whatever they want and still be rail thing, while me and my father struggle to be skinny constantly. Pain in me ass.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 10:17 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Everybody is different. Your mom and sister seem to have the same genetics as far as weight gain/loss goes. Whereas you got your genetics from another part of the family. One where the metabolism isn't quite as fast and the body holds onto fat a lot stronger then for your mom/sister. It's frustrating, but it's the way it is. Their bodies just work it off a lot easier.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:58 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I have the same issue. Most of my relatives, but not all, seem to be naturally thin. They really don't work at it all. I totally bust my butt just to stay a normal, healthy weight for my body. I guess I'm just built differently and have a different metabolism. Yes, it sucks, and I occasionally have a pity-party with myself about it, but then I try to focus on the fact that even though they may be thinner (or at least the same size as me, but not having to work at it at all), I am HEALTHIER because I do have to try so hard. I have to eat right and do lots and lots of exercise, so in the long run, my body will likely hold up better than the skinny gals who don't exercise and gobble cookies and soda as they please.
    Chin up!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:57 AM on Mar. 2, 2011