Ideas to get my 18 month olds to talk more

if your child didn't speak much around 18 months, what are some things you did that got them to want to use some words?

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 10:37 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't give in to however they are getting what they want. If they want milk for instance, have them say it, don't just give it to them. You can model the behavior by saying, "Milk? Do you want milk?" Do this for toys they really like as well, or activities.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 10:40 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Talk to them. Honestly that's one of the best ways to encourage a child to talk. Ask them to say words and repeat the words a couple of times to encourage them to say them. Talk to them like a child and not like an infant, that's important to. Help build their confidence by praising them when they at least attempt to say a word, then repeat the word how it's properly said.

With my two year old I say the words a couple of times properly and then praise his attempts. Then repeat it one more time just to show him how it's properly said. Now he's different then most kids. He doesn't speak very much, but when he says words he repeats them over and over to me to see if he's saying them right. When I repeat it he'll repeat it. He's very specific and precise about things, and words are no exception.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:44 PM on Mar. 1, 2011