Do you think people are by nature selfish?

I am not so sure. I have met people who are very giving and some who are very selfish. I have a selfcentered nature, I know this, but I am wondering if it a learned thing (from parents) or if one is born with it. Any thoughts?

SusieD250

Asked by SusieD250 at 8:10 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I think it is a learned behavior. I think my Hubby is way less selfish than I am and I can see that in how we were raised.
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 8:12 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• ahhh... when i had a person from a school come and teach my son, (before he starts kindergarten)at my house, she wanted him to say that this is MINE that is MINE she wanted him to learn how to claim something thats his, so im guessing when you have brothers and sisters or maybe if your by yourself, you teach yourself that. i had a friend that was very selfish, she had one sis but she was much older then her younger sis, so she probably taught herself that this is mine, that is mine, before her sis came along and even after. so yeah i believe you are by nature selfish until you get old enough to learn that you have to share and give, then thats what makes you either a selfish person or a giving person.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 8:16 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• We live in a narcoleptic society, meaning it's me, me, me, mine, mine, mine. We are taught this by the people around us and also by ourselves. If we aren't taught to share or give freely to others, I think sharing is a hard lesson to learn.

BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 8:22 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I think it's something you're born with. I have a friend that was sooo self centered, her grandfather was sick in the hospital with cancer and all she could focus on was how it affected her social life (no joke). She had a brother and a sister growing up, I am an only child. I love to give, just to make others happy. Although I know some who are generous because they want the praise and others to like them. But I'm not saying I don't have my selfish moments though, like the last piece of pumpkin pie Thursday! It's MINE! :o)
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 8:26 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I think it's a combination of how you're raised and an inborn trait. That being said...I can't really explain why I feel that way, I just do. LOL!
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:37 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Narcoleptic? I think you mean something else? Narcoleptic means you fall asleep all the time. Egocentric maybe?
    Anonymous

• I was thinking narcissistic, maybe that's what she meant. But egocentric works just as well.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:56 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• We are born with a selfish nature and should learn to overcome it and be more giving and unselfish as we grow and mature. Unfortunately, many do not have a good example and are not taught right.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 10:13 PM on Nov. 20, 2008