What can I give 4y0 DD to help her sleep?

Is there anything natural that would be ok to give to my toddler to help her sleep? I put her down almost 3 hours ago and she's fighting it really bad tonight. She keeps asking for food and drink and cuddles. I happily obliged her requests but she's fighting for a reason. Just not sure what it is.

proudmom2510

Asked by proudmom2510 at 11:07 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I am going through the same thing with my DD who is almost 3... ill be watching this post lol
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 11:08 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• She keeps using tactics to get you in there with her. And as long as you oblige, she's going to keep resisting sleep. You might have to get firm and tell her it's bedtime, Mom is going to bed too so you can all be well rested in the morning. Other than that, I know some who give their kids Melatonin, but it is at the pediatrician's advice.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 11:09 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Lie beside her, touch her forehead & make her involve in your stories, slowly show her that two of you are feeling sleepy. This might work...
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 11:09 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• How about some cammomile tea. Make it hot and let it cool. Makes sure your bedtime routine stays the same each day. If she still naps..lose the nap.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:10 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• ok.. so... I have been dealing with this with my son since birth.. no mother or parent will or does understand when a parent says that they have "tried it all " until you have.. I am STILL doing this with my son. he turned 3 in nov and after REtrying infant methods of patterns and methods and schedules and routines for 17 months, I tried by ther Dr's request... melatonin, which ONLY helped him go to bed faster.. it had him Fully wide awake within 4 hours.. I tried 1/2 the dose which made him go to bed wayyyy longer and still only slept a solid 6 hours.. well, We finally searched the internet for a herbal remedie, funny enough, that's the webiste name, but we give him 6 drops of what is called serenite JR 5 minutes or right before his book reading/bedimte and well, that is been our savior.. we've tried all the wearing out, mind crazy tricks and routines out ther
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:18 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• melatonin...... pediatrician told me about it. It's a natural whatever that the body creates for sleep. You can find it at walgreens.
    jrw_mommy

Answer by jrw_mommy at 11:28 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• You are giving her the attention that is showing her that going to sleep can be delayed. Before she goes to bed have quiet time, see that she has had something to eat and drink and gone to the bathroom. Lay her down and kiss her and tell her goodnight. If she gets up do not reward her with more attention. Just put her back to bed and sit down in the room do not talk or cuddle her more. Do this each time she gets up. She will get the idea that she is not going to get more food or attention. This is the time for sleep. You are there but you are not there to play with or cuddle with. It is sleep time.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:58 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Ok....my daughter is almost seven. For six of those seven years, I would sit with her at night, sometimes for an hour or more, until she fell asleep. And then when she woke up in the middle of the night for 2-3 hours at a time, I would sit in there again.Then I had had ENOUGH. I was tired, my husband was of no help and I was DONE. I started a crazy strict bed time routine. We have supper no later than 6pm. Baths start no later than 7. They get a light snack, brush teeth, book and lights out by 8:30 or sooner if it's a smooth night. Then I leave the room. Every single night, the same thing. Evening plans are out the window but it is soooo worth it. At first there were some battles with the leaving part but I just stuck it out. The first couple of weeks she stayed in bed, stayed quiet and fell asleep alone, she was rewarded. I slowly phased that out. After a few months, you can be flexible and have no problems. Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 9:46 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Either my husband or I will read him a story, while yawning and saying, I'm getting sleepy. He usually starts yawning too. Then I'll rub his back or his head. It usually takes us an extra 5 minutes after the story is completed to have him sleeping in our lap. It helps to bathe him in lavendar baby wash too.
    BSWSC

Answer by BSWSC at 1:50 AM on Mar. 4, 2011