Do you ever feel snobbed out??

SO I was home with my son today... I normally work outside the home. We went to McDonalds playland which he has so much fun with, until he turned 3 and switched daycare settings, he had major social anxiety even for a 3 year old.. well we get there and 2 mom's were talking.. clearly were the "money" stay at home mom's.., I don't mean that rude,but most mom's who don't have money or are sahm's know that type I am talking about.. well my son for the first time I've ever seen walked up to their kids ( there were 4 total between the 2 of them ) and said HI, My name is Max.. I totally teared up as this is HUGE on my son's part.. well the one mom of the 3 of them told her kids to Not talk to him, go play or they will be leaving.. my son was SO proud of himself for talking to other kids he ran to give me a high five but didn't know why now they had to go since he talked to them.. I am not the made up - hair done makeup done Mom and my mom says she used to get denied or not talked to by other moms for this reason too - I actually tried to talk to them when our kids were close to each other and got snubbed,. this also happens at the park when I talk to mom's on the weekends or randomly if I am off during the week and they find out I stay at home... I am sooo sad about this.. I am a nice person and my son really needs this interaction but we can't seem to break this barrier...

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 11:10 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• b/c alot of mom's are judgemental , snobby, Witches. I hate that too. but as they stand there talking about nothing that matters to the other mom... your child is proudly playinghappily b/c YOU are paying attention to him... HE matters to you, YOU get down to his level and play. YOU get the grins and giggles of joy. What do their little ones get???? ignored, shhhhhhed, mommy's talking, etc. baby girl very few of us moms can say when we love our children... WE LOVE & NURTURE...... thats more than any snob will ever be able to say proudly...... so I say piss upon them all who stick their feathers up...... ( this spoken from a true country girl in a Vegas atomosphere)
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 11:19 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Wow ... I am sorry you have to deal with these rude moms .... I think I have run into some of those moms but I do my hair and makeup and dress nice.... so I think it just depends on the people ( rude no matter what)

If you think it is because you dont "glam" yourself up, why not just take ti for a test run, fix yourself up just for a day and hit the normal spots and see if you get different results..... but honestly, if these people are judging you for not being dressed up to go to the park you rpbably wouldnt have fun with them anyways
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 11:18 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Ugh. Makes me sick just to hear it. I cannot imagine someone being so rude and yet it's happened to my son too (at that age when he was trying to hug another little boy at the park that we didn't know). It was a harsh reality that I had to deprogram my child's sweet affections and explain we don't "hug" other strange boys (3 YEARS OLD!!!). The Mother was harsh about it and for whatever reason couldn't tactfully say something like "Oh that's nice but no thank you, we've got a cold." or some other lie! Anyway, go on with your non makeup wearing, pony-tailed hair self and be proud of your son. Remind him that he was so brave to approach those kids and you're sorry they couldn't talk and play but that it's a great thing that he tried. Hang in there.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:16 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• i do understand where you are comming from. im like you im not money and i dont do myself all up and what not i dont have the time nor can i be bothered. and yes i have seen mothers like that and they just make my skin crawl. you always get this feeling like they see you can turn their noses up at you. luckily i havent had problems with them telling their kids they were leaving or not to play with my kids but im so sorry that happened that was wrong on so many levels. just try to focus on the fact that your child iniated a friendship. you should be very proud of him.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 11:17 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• kkbird..YOu couldn't have hit that nail on the head more than that.. I literally LOVE playing with my son I crawl in the tubes or forts or run on the games to play with him and cheer him on, all while those other parents do not have a clue today of what their kids are doing as long as they can sip their cappicino's and talk about their friends 400 k housing situation, ( ok, I was eve's dropping a bit lol) but all you heard was every 4 minutes NOah!!! dont do that to the baby, Hannah, leave her alone etc.. but not once would they get up... but I GET THAT< I really do - you ALSO have to let kids be kids and have some learning of independance but this part just sucks and Oh, to 2lilbumblebees - I totally have tried that and surprising, MOm's like this do tend to not treat me AS bad, but i guess, I don't have that talk either.. I am pretty down to earth and open and it seems I AM ( fully amitting ) Of, different "class"
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 11:26 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• sounds like the moms at one of the playgrounds i stopped going to last summer
    switched to another playground and everyone was very nice
    strange, like you had to be a snob to go to one and a normal person to go to the other
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:39 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• no offense to u but i feel like that a lot on here. i also feel like i dont have much in common with people. I am just an ordinary person trying to make friends so i dont understand.
    brooklyndm

Answer by brooklyndm at 12:37 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I get this a lot at the mall play area, snotty little girls and their snotty moms. My 4 year old isn't as bothered by it as I am. When I see her get shut down my some other kid I just say "if they are snotty and rude then you don't want to play with them anyway" and remind her to be a nice person and not be snotty herself. I guess it is just a part of life, a crappy part but a part of life we have to deal with.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 7:44 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Most of the time, I don't "fit in" with other moms, money or not. In parent/child settings, I'm usually the mom sitting by myself.
    However, I have NEVER had anyone say anything to or about my kids like that. Never.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:47 AM on Mar. 2, 2011