I think I'm getting sick?

I think I'm getting sick, but I can't afford to take off work right now to go to a doctor. I have a scratchy throat and stuffy/runny nose. Can anyone please tell me any home remedies for these symptoms?

Asked by kimmy73 at 8:14 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Health

• Tea with honey in it, Warm milk or throat losenges  might help ease the discomfort. I used all these remedies, but if you are feeling the symptoms already, there's nothing that will really work except letting the cold run its course. 

Answer by BooBear666 at 8:17 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Drink as much water as you can. Flush out the ick. Put Vicks Vaporub on your feet and cover with socks when you go to bed. You'll feel really good in the morning. I take Echinacea at the first sign and take about 5 a day. But mostly it's flushing it out with lots of water.

Answer by EireLass at 8:18 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• eat lots of fruits and greens.

make a nice smoothie with the greens in the fruit.

Make sure you get as much rest as you can.

Answer by keyaziz at 9:06 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Take zinc lozenges ASAP. They really do help the length and severity of a cold.

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 10:10 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• huge fan of zicam... it's a homeopathic treatment (zinc)... you apply it to the inside of your nose.

Answer by abelsmama07 at 11:21 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• You don't need a doctor for a cold :)
    Hot tea with honey & lemon, and chicken soup really do work, on several levels.
    Make sure you don't allow yourself to get dehydrated, even with a sore throat...if it's dry it will hurt even worse. Also, get enough rest. A lot of people don't slow down at all when they feel a cold or flu coming on, and that lowers your body's natural ability to fight off the virus. Do yourself a favor and get enough rest.

If you get congested, a hot shower or bath can do wonders.

Answer by jespeach at 4:20 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• take Vitamin c and echinasia(sp) and drink lots of water increase fiber and proteins in you diet. lots of sleep, vicks and green tea for the antioxidants.

Answer by amanda_23 at 4:49 AM on Nov. 21, 2008