Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Child Support and the Military

I've heard that since my ex is in the guard, if he doesn't pay his court ordered child support, I can call his guard unit and he will risk being dishonorably discharged for it. Is this true?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:12 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (7)
  • NO but you can set it up where they garnish his check every month. They will only discharge them if they are extremely in debt

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:13 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

  • no. but if u push it uncle sam will make him paid wheather he likes it or not.

    Answer by dona65 at 11:15 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

  • It would not benefit anyone for him to lose his job.

    Answer by tootoobusy at 11:19 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

  • First, unless u have done this already, in order to collect child support, you will first need to complete a form called an "Income Withholding Order." This form is then sent to the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS),Cleveland Center, Garnishment Operations in order to initiate the military child support payment process. The Income Withholding Order is the only form that will suffice in initiating child support payments as it actually directs the government to withhold money and allocate it for child support. Even a divorce decree that approve child support payments does not give the government authorization it needs to begin the process.
    Here is # u can call id u have any questions:

    Defense Finance and Accounting Service
    Cleveland DFAS-GAG/CL
    PO Box 998002 Cleveland, Ohio 44199-8002
    FAX: (216) 522-6960


    Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:20 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

  • I am going through the process of having his wages garnished. It's just taking so long. I'm struggling here trying to support my baby completely on my own financially and emotionally.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:23 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

  • That is with any arm forces they have to if he messes up give them a call and they will fix up..

    Answer by dusty1962 at 11:38 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

  • I had the same issue with my exhusband and he was in Navy (got processed out for not making rate, but in reserves inactively til his enlistment time is up) and I just got ahold of an Ombudsman whom contacted the command he worked for personally. Within an hour I was on the phone with the CMC of the command and the next day my exhusband had a forced allotment put on his les to pay me 400 in childsupport a month and I was told if he stopped or reduced it again to call back ( CMC gave me his direct number). He can get in trouble for not paying you childsupport especially if court ordered and he's in military still. Now, I'm having issues with my exhusband paying child support on his own now since getting processed out and he is tryin to reduce childsupport amounts for my son and his first son from first marriage himself which is illegal since court order unless he goes to the states personally.

    Answer by shortmommy23 at 9:29 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.