How can you get your 16month to walk?

MJ038

Asked by MJ038 at 11:15 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hmmm...really should be making attempts on their own by now. Start walking with him/her while holding both of his/her hands. Try walking with him/her with someone else on the other side, both holding a little hand. Once he/she starts getting a feel for it, try it one-handed. Then, try standing him/her up and stepping away a few steps. Hold out a favorite toy and encourage him/her to walk towards you to get it. During each of these processes, be sure to give LOTS of positive praise to encourage more desire to walk.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:20 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Let them do it on their own
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:16 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Is it that a 16 month old child isn't walking? Is the child at least trying to stand up? If yes then walker is the best thing to start with and gradually walker practice can be removed once the child starts moving fast in it.
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 11:22 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• our daughter used a walker for a while....just b/c she liked it. She didn't have trouble walking but she enjoyed it. It might strengthen the leg muscles. They are perfectly safe if they are used properly.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:25 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Anonymous- What is the therapist going to tell me? The same stuff that everyone has told me? Y would I pay 100s of dollars for them to tell me what everyone has already said? Besides I have checked with the dr right after posting this. My dr. informed me as long as they are standing and cruzing then he is fine. Which he has been doing both. Last night he started using a walker. Also I have spoken with a few other moms who have said it wasn't to uncommon for babies his age not to be walking.

Thank you others for giving advice. I apologize because I wasn't specific. Yes he was cruzing some and pulling up. I was just wondering how I could help further him along.
    MJ038

Comment by MJ038 (original poster) at 8:32 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• See a therapist. A 16 month old should be attempting to walk by now.
    Anonymous