Is it possible for...

a 2 1/2 year old to get the chickenpox?? I know this is a dumb question. The only kids she's around are at the park and her 2 friends. She had the vaccine for it, I believe, at 18 months. I found 6 little red bumps on her, in different places. She's not scratching them...Im just at a loss as to what they could be. they're not bug bites. thanks

calliesmommie

Asked by calliesmommie at 11:20 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Unfortunately, there are all sorts of rashes, bumps, etc out there. I would wait until morning and see how they look. If they have gotten worse in any way, definitely call the doctor. And call for advice if it makes you feel more comfortable.

My now 6 yr old had a really horrible rash a couple of times the past year. It's hard to not freak and not assume that it is something worse than a contact dermatitis. Both times it went away on its own.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:39 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Do they look like watery blisters? Or do they just look like red bump? The watery blister type are chicken pox. All 3 of my kids had the vax around 18 months, and 2 of them got the pox anyway. They were itchy, feverish and miserable. The older one was for his 6th bday. The younger one was at 2, a full 3 yrs after his brother.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:32 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Please get her checkup done from a paediatrician at the earliest.......
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 11:24 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I'd call first. They try to isolate children who are contagious so call and see what they say.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:28 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• @maxsmom11807...she had her vaccine at 18 months....just noticed the spots tonight in the bath
    calliesmommie

Comment by calliesmommie (original poster) at 11:29 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• @maxsmom-no, she's saying she got the chicken pox vaccine at 18mos. And, yes, it's completely possible for a 2 1/2 yo to get chicken pox. My oldest DD had them on her 2nd birthday. But, having had the vaccine, not so sure that is what it is. Are the spots like little blisters? Is she running a fever? How do you know they aren't actually bug bites? Call your doctor's nurse. She will be able to tell you whether you should be concerned or not. She will let you know if it's necessary to make an appointment.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:32 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• @balagan imma....they don't look blistery to me..that's why Im confused. They don't look like bug bites. she's acting fine otherwise..not even scratching...I remember having the pox and I was miserable. Thanks :)
    calliesmommie

Comment by calliesmommie (original poster) at 11:33 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• if it was chickpox they would look like little pimples or like little fluid filled blisters. and being that she was vaccinated at 18 months she shouldnt get them but they have been thinking that kids might need a second dose of the vaccine. does she have a fever or vomiting? either way if they look cncerning then i would call the doc.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 11:34 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• thanks for all the advice girls :) I'll keep and eye on them and count them and see if anything changes. thanks again :)
    calliesmommie

Comment by calliesmommie (original poster) at 11:35 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• oh and if they are let me know and ill send my kid over to have a pox party. j/k but i do remember my mom and other parents doing that to get it done and over with. my sis brought them home to me and i remember the mounds of calamine lotion and itching.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 11:37 PM on Mar. 1, 2011