My cat is leaving blood spots at the end of my bed where she sleeps!

I have white sheets and lately I've been noticing little blood spots all over the end of my bed. At first I thought "Omg bed bugs," but after inspecting my mattress and the surrounding areas there is no real reason for me to suspect bed bugs.

My cat always lays at the end of my bed. So I'm pretty sure she's leaving the spots.

What could be causing this?

She is about 14 years old, doesn't appear ill or injured.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Pets

• probably in heat
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 11:22 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I assume she's fixed, or else you would have noticed some type of blood in the last 14 years....did she snag a nail?? I've noticed on my cats, that if they get scratching too hard on something, they can split a nail. One of them actually had blood on her nail...check them closely..
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:22 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I really don't know but I'd call a local vet and explain this to them and see what the tech says. Could be she has a small cut and she's pulling at a scab or it's an injured nail or something?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:22 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Does she have fleas? Or possibly a skin condition? Fleas can cause little bloody welts on your pet's skin. A skin condition, such as really dry, flaky skin can cause her to scratch, causing some bleeding. Check her skin very closely. I'm sure you will find the reason for the little blood spots.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:24 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• im assuming she has been spayed so next would be bladder cystals. if she uses the litter box watch and see if she strains or if shes useing it alot or if there is blood in her urine. its more common in male cats but it can happen to females. also see if you cant get a good look over of her and make sure she doesnt have any cuts or anything like that. and maybe you can see where its comming from.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 11:24 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Fleas or dry skin making her scratch too much? My cat had this problem one time.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 11:25 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• or maybe ticks?? depending on where you live?? I dont know anything about them living in the desert....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:26 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• A vet visit is in order.She may have a urinary problem,if she is not spayed she may have a uterine infection.there are so many things it could be so she needs to be seen.I do hope it is something minor and an easy fix.
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 11:27 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Cat's don't bleed when they are in heat. They whine. And I'm sure if your cat is that old, it would have happened before. Last time I had a cat that did that he had urinary stones that had to be removed. Also kidney issues.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:44 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Take your pet to the vet and get your cat a check up and soon. I love cats.
    guesswho123

Answer by guesswho123 at 4:16 AM on Mar. 2, 2011