Anyone going into labor/delivery with no epidural or pain medications? If yes...how was it?

I am planning (God's will) to be going through labor and have my daughter without epidural. I think i can handle the pain, only of course in case of emergency c-section or something else comes up?!

Saranda

Asked by Saranda at 11:32 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• Had all my kids med-free. Just concentrate on your breathing and relaxing the muscles throughout your whole body. You'll do just fine. At the point of crowning, my body went numb from the waist down all on it's own. Scared me the 1st time. Dr. just told me it was from the pressure of the baby entering the birth canal...the body's own natural pain killer. LOL.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:35 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Yeah, i am an OB nurse, and seen a lot of normal labor or to be more specific all the deliveries i've seen were meds free, so i kind of know what to do and how, but never really had suffer any physical pain in my life, never been hurt that bad or broken bones so i am not really familiar with pain so the contractions are the only fear i worry about because i dont know how they are going to feel. lol.... thank you though :)
    Saranda

Comment by Saranda (original poster) at 11:40 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• had my last 3 with out any pain meds and my last one I even got potocin, but I did a lot of breathing and tried not to think about the pain, it worked great except for the last one, I even begged for an epidural and my body went to fast that it was to late to get it ,so I had to do it on my own but I did it and I am proud of that, oh and I have had 6 kids.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 11:44 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Well, have you ever had a charlie horse in your leg? Consider contractions charlie horses in the belly. LOL. Only, they just keep coming! But, I guarantee, once you are holding your new baby in your arms, the contractions and how they felt will be the furthest things from your mind.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:47 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My third birth was all natural drug-free, intervention-free. It was an amazing experience.

I did a lot of preparing myself mentally & physically before the birth. It got to the point that I was actually looking forward to giving birth.

In many ways preparing for birth is like training for a marathon. It's work, and labor itself is physically demanding work. I wouldn't think of contractions in terms of painful like a cut or ailment, but rather in terms of physically demanding pain like the kind you'd feel running or doing strenuous exercise, where you just want to get to the finish line.

The benefits are high, and you have the prize at the end to look forward to!

I'd encourage you to read Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth, and watch Orgasmic Birth if you can get your hands on it (Netflix has it.)

Childbirth can be ecstatic. It's a rite of passage!
    mamaembrace

Answer by mamaembrace at 11:54 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Great!!
    :-D
    I love birthing!

If you prefer a natural deliver/to avoid unnecessary interventions there are a couple of things to consider:

*Preparing your mind (appreciate the real & unnecessary risks for interventions, know about the many alternatives and how to use them
    *Have good consistent support (the same person with you throughout the entire labor & who understands your preferences/how to help achieve them)
    *Avoid the setting where the interventions are available (at least as long as possible)

Are you taking classes or working on emotional preparation? What about a birth doula?

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:16 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• i went med free with my daughter at times it was hard because of the pain but once she came out it was worth it
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 8:43 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• ok i did it with my 3rd son it hurt but u actully feel when u have to push not having someone tell u
    Sara_Carter

Answer by Sara_Carter at 8:57 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I had 4 with nothing. The pain is just intense right at the end. If you can walk a lot and do the kegel exercise it helps. I didn't exercise much with my 3rd and it was the hardest delivery even though she was the smallest.
    tammysgray

Answer by tammysgray at 9:10 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• First let me wish you the very best in going through with this idea. However, I loath the words birth plan. Each birth is different. I had my first without anything...no such thing as an epi back then. Thought I was going to DIE! I had my 3rd the same way and it was a breeze. I had my 2nd and could not take it and asked for the epi, and my 4th and 5th were C-sections due to breech position. Every woman and labor is different. Martyrdom is synonomus with many things, child birth should not be one of them! If you ask for pain relief this does NOT make you a bad mom or a bad person. Labor frickin hurts no bones about it. Some take the pain better than others. The God I know is a loving God and there is no way I am buying into that garbage that I should suffer pain in child birth for some story about a woman a bizillion yrs ago eating the wrong fruit. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:49 AM on Mar. 2, 2011