Should my 1 year old be talking?

Hi I am butterfly463. As stated in my profile i have a one year old. He learned every thig fast. He sat up on his own early, He crawled, and walked early. He will be 2 years of age on June 2 and is not taling yet. Should i be concerned?

BUTTERFLY463

Asked by BUTTERFLY463 at 11:37 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• Not necessairly. All kids are different. Mine was saying the basics like, "ma-ma" and "bite-bite" when he was a bit under six months old. He might not be talking because he doesn't have to. Do you give him whatever he wants when he points to it and makes a grunting sound? I've known moms who have done that and their children were VERY late talkers. Talk to him LOTS and repeat, repeat, repeat. And if he's doing the pointing thing...stop giving him what he wants until he at least makes an attempt to say the word. If you're really concerned, talk to your pediatrician about it.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:00 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• No ,I have 5 kids and some of them talked early and some didn't say anything til they were around a year old. one of mine was 17 months before she spoke her first word but now (she is almost 5) you can't get her to shut up!
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 8:41 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• My son will be 2 in january and he dont say much of anything lots of noises and everyonce in a blue moon he will say HEY i think we are not sure but other than that he dont say words much either. The dr says he is doing fine I mean he is in the 75percentile and he was also a fast learner on everything else as well and is still on other things...
    Mem10

Answer by Mem10 at 11:55 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• No. My brat is ten months old. She started talking and babbling early on. She recognizes simple commands like "kiss-kiss," "bye-bye," "go," and "stop" Now, she talks when she wants to talk. Every baby develops at their own rate. Right now, enjoy the silence...and your baby. Soon you'll want them to "shut up."
    AlyssaM0mmy

Answer by AlyssaM0mmy at 3:59 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• My granddaughter barely started talking in the last month or two and she turns two next week. Were guessing she knew how to talk and what we were saying all along, because she started talking in full sentences and bypassed simple ones. All kids are obviously different but I wouldnt stress out about it. He will talk when he has something to say.

Answer by gemgem at 8:44 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• kids are all different. my son would say very simple words by age one, mamam, bye bye, dog, baba, ball, car, his fave was mart (for walmart).. my sisters lil boy was 2 years old and his only word he would say were bite, airplane and mama... my son was speaking full sentences by that age. her lil girl is now 15 months and is speaking a few more words than my nephew did..but not many.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:48 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Is he 100% non verbal? If he says a few words here and there then relax, but if he says nothing, not no, not mommy nothing, I would ask my doctor.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:45 AM on Mar. 2, 2011