How do you know if your water broke? help....

i was just sitting down in my couch, and when i stood up, i realized i was all wet, like if i had peed on myself.... but i didnt feel anything i realized it until i stood up and saw my clothes all wet.... this has never happened to me before... i just need some reassurance or support before i go to the dr

SQ13

Asked by SQ13 at 11:39 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Pregnancy

• How much is it? Because I did that twice and it was urine, believe it or not. I'm talking puddle on the floor! lol Just go to labor and delivery. They will do a quick litmus strip test and you'll be on your way. :) When my water broke, I would cough and it would come gusing out. It wouldn't stop, it just kept coming.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:41 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I felt a pop but that doesn't mean it happens like that every time.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:44 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• sounds like ur water broke. when my water broke with my first, it was a very small & anti-climactic trickle. i waited a few hours before heading to the doc because i wasn't sure. looking back, i should have known since it was trickling every now & then on it's own.

anyway, i thought my water broke with my other 2 & would rush to L&D, but it was just my babies dancing on my bladder. i know it sounds gross, but they told me to smell it. if it's pee, you'll know for sure. otherwise, head on to your doc so they can check you. it's better to go in for a false alarm. if i hadn't gone into the doc with my first, i don't think i would have known it was really time. i wasn't having any contractions despite my broken water until i was given pitocin & didn't deliver till 29 hours later. bacteria can enter the sac since it's been ruptured.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 11:48 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• When my water broke it was so strange. I totally expected a huge gush or something and it was nothing like that. It was like a little gush here and a little gush there. I didn't even realize what was happening until I started getting contractions not to long after that. I actually ended up staying at home thinking nothing of it for just a bit to long. I'd say Go get checked just to be sure!!
    AshellG27

Answer by AshellG27 at 11:53 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I remember when my water broke. I woke up having strange pains in my lower abdomen. A few minutes later I felt a pop in my stomach and a huge gush of liquid, It kept coming out in huge gushes as I moved around and I had steady contractions immediately after it broke.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 11:59 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• If it smells sweet its your water.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:33 AM on Mar. 2, 2011