My son is 9 years old and is diagnosed with ADHD. He is an only child and has behavioral problems. He is very loving. He is doing fantastic scholastically. I just want his behavior to change at home: listen more, do things more for himself. I want to set up a reward system but I can't think of any rewards besides playing videogames with him. He doesn't like ninety nine cent toys anymore. Any ideas or suggestions? Thank you.

I did not have the role model of parents who separated (let their kids grow up). I'm told this is supposed to happen when they are a toddler. He is a little boy, well, we call him a big boy now. So I'm learning new things at the same time I'm trying to teach them to my son. It makes me nervous and less, how do I put it?, sure of myself and I think my son picks up on my insecurity.

Momneedssupport

Asked by Momneedssupport at 11:44 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• HOw old was he when you KNEW It was not "normal"? what types of things of ADHD is he doing?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:46 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• How about making him a chart and when he dose something he will get a check mark, Or a Quarter.... or something like that! He can work up to something bigger!
    tripletmom28

Answer by tripletmom28 at 12:02 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Take him to a movie that is G rated for his age group, or maybe he'd like to try an outting of some sort like hiking, fishing. Take him to a science center in San diego, CA if you live in or around that area. Maybe there is a science center near the location of where you live.
    guesswho123

Answer by guesswho123 at 4:04 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Because they 're losing control over their offspring.
    guesswho123

Answer by guesswho123 at 4:06 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• take him to the movies; take him go carting; take him bowling; take him roller skating; find out what things he likes to do and do more of them with him
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 11:21 AM on May. 16, 2011