College fund for children

I am expecting a baby in September, and the father and I are thinking about starting a college fund..I know they vary from state to state, but does anyone have any advice? Any one use the Gerber one?

ajfoster88

Asked by ajfoster88 at 11:45 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• we started the 429 ( ugh... stupidly I can't remember for sure now if thats the name ) but weput $30 a week, $15 from each of our weekly checks towards this and then he has his own savings acct which we started both at 6 weeks of age
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:48 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• The earlier you start the better, so you're on the right track. We started 529 college savings plans through our state and put $100 a month in, but I don't feel like that's enough. Then again, we do expect our children to contribute something towards their own college educations.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 11:58 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• No I didn't start a gerber fund. It sounds like one idea. Take a look at your other options open ira account for the saving of a college fund and deverify.
    guesswho123

Answer by guesswho123 at 3:32 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• We started one as soon as I was pregnant with my first child. It was NOT a 529 plan or the Gerber one or anything like it (we didn't like the restrictions placed on many of those college savings programs). We did it old school ... a savings account and a brokerage account and I am happy to say that both of our children's colleges are funded 100% (our oldest starts in the fall). Do your research and do what's best for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:28 AM on Mar. 2, 2011