Migraine question

I have had chronic headaches for years now, but not migraines, they were classified as chronic tension headaches. I take topamax daily. I got one of my regular headaches sat. night, and it was still there Sunday. No surprise, they usually last for days. But it just got worse. I woke up Monday and the whole right side of my head and face hurt like Hell, if I moved, or got up it would throb and I would almost vomit. All I had was excedrine and it took several of them to even touch the pain. It just isn't the headaches I'm use to. I couldn't do anything but lay in bed. Does this sound like a migraine? I have had MRIs a couple years ago that were clear. If I'm going to have to deal with these I'm going to need something besides excedrine, I just wanted to pass out!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Health

• that is definitely a migraine. there are lots of different manifestations, nausea being one of them. the biggest tipoff is a sensitivity to light and sound. there is no hard and fast solution. it may take years of trial and error with your doctor to find a treatment that works for you, and then it may come at great costs to your mental and physical well being. you're best bet is to address it right away with your doctor, keep a "headache journal" (notate your eating, sleeping, drinking, exercise, menstrual, sex, work, stress habits), and identify your triggers.

welcome to the world of migraines. i am truly sorry.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 12:20 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Ugh I was afraid it was. But was still hoping someone would say oh no, that don't sound like one at all! Lol. I still felt a little "off" today, like headache hangover or something lol. Luckily my Dr called in a prescription pain med in case I need it before I can get in the office. I feel truly sorry for people that have delt with these things for years!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:31 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• It's sounds like a migraine. It runs in my family. My mother has had many of them in the past. When you have them, you usually are sensitive to light and sound. Topamax is for seizures I think. I think you need to take something specifically for migraines. Research it on the computer and get some information and visit your doctor.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:34 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• i feel like an asshole for using "you're" when i meant "your." ugh. i am also on a migraine cycle right now. it makes me dumb.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 12:39 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Topamax is used for both seizures and migraines. They started me on it a couple years a go to see if it would help with the frequency of my tension headaches. And it does. I'm on a lower dose than what they usually use for migraines I think though.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:48 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I get migraines regualrly and that sounds exactly like a migraine; they are as painful and can put you right down in bed.  I have had them where all I wanted to do is lay in a dark quiet room.  I would call your doctor and talk to them about this and see what they might suggest

Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:18 AM on Mar. 2, 2011