How to help my 6yo DD be more challenged academically...

I think that maybe my 6 yo DD in 1st grade is a little bored in her class because she is not being challenged enough academically. She is learning all the work really well and the teacher said she is one of the smartest kids in the class. I want to keep her in the same school because we really like it and she loves all of her classmates. Since she is still young there are no options in her school to do more advanced classes. I try to teach her from work books that are for 2nd graders and she can understand the material, but I have limited time to do it because I work full time. Can anyone suggest any other things I can do to help challenge her?

myrrha68

Asked by myrrha68 at 8:21 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Actually I see that you have to consider what you are doing is teaching the things she will be learning in 2nd grade so you are giving yourself a potential problem. Either keep her busy with books or other activities. Ask if she can help in the library or do something different, or if the teacher can provide advanced work for her. Good luck.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 8:25 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Does her school offer a gifted/talented enrichment program? My daughter also was "doing great" in first grade, but that often meant she was sitting around, bored, waiting for her classmates to catch up with her. I suggest you talk with the school counselor about having her assessed, and find out what options are available if she tests high (and also if she doesn't). My little girl is in third grade now, and her school does a great job of grouping the kids by ability level. She is doing 4th grade math, with some 4th graders, some 3rd graders, and even a very bright 1st grader! She also gets language arts in a small group with other kids who are ahead in that subject. Good luck getting your daughter the proper learning experience. Sometimes the school staff will initiate testing, but often we parents have to make it happen!
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 8:28 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I agree that teaching her more advanced material will only make it worse in the long run. The more you teach her, the more bored she'll be in school since she has already mastered the brand new topic. She'll either get bored and quit doing ANY work (been there) or she'll turn into a trouble maker / class clown (my brother). And keep in close touch with the teacher - you need to know if problems develop and you may be able to convince the school to do something for advanced little kids so they stay advanced.

At home, instead of teaching her more advanced lessons, try a different subject. Pick a bug to learn about, study drawing techniques, learn about someone in history, learn a muical instrument. The library can help with all of these, she can work on more advanced reading skills while learning a new topic or sharpen math skills by learning music.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:50 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Whoa I am shocked that people would actually suggest to slow her down because it might cause a problem That is what is wrong now with schools. It's about everyone being on the same level, so the advanced kids just have to sit there and wait. If their talent is academics then it should be fostered, just like another child's talent might be music or sports.

I say teach her the advanced work or have her teacher keep her challenged, as long as she is enjoying it. Obviously you don't want to burn her out.

By 3rd grade she can be put in the gifted and talented program or some kids can even move grades. The thing is you have to be 100% there for her if she is going to be doing any of this because raising a gifted child is challenging in many ways.

cont....
    Anonymous

• I think because of the "no child left behind" act, it has created a one size fits "No one," school system that creates failure. Children who need extra help are being pushed along and children who are advanced get "dumbed" down slowly.

I pulled my son from public school because he has Asperger syndrome and has academic scores in the very superior level. He was made to "wait" for the rest of his class, which caused boredom and behavior issues. He also eventually began to loose his lust for learning and began to hate school. He went from wanting to learn, to crying when he saw homework.

cont...
    Anonymous

• now teach him at home and we do some 2nd grade work( he is in the first grade). He loves to learn again now. He is having fun and enjoys doing work that is to his level.

I do like that one person mentioned about teaching her extra subjects at home to keep her "mentally satisfied," that is a good idea too. I just don' t agree with holding her back if she is ready. Nothing good can come from that. While you are young is when your brain is a sponge, why would you want it to sit there "dry," when it could be soaking up more information ?

Anonymous

• I agree with the PP about talking to the school. My daughter is going through the same thing right now. She's in 1st grade but doing everything at a 2nd grade level according to her assesment testing. She's bored silly. So her teacher is giving her a little extra work at the moment. After the first of the year she'll be tested for the 'gifted' program. Unfortunately it won't do her any good until she starts 2nd grade. But if she is accepted she'll be bussed over to another school one day a week with other students from around the district. .
    ShutterBug77

Answer by ShutterBug77 at 11:26 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• cont...

So def. talk to someone. Don't try and hold her back! If she wants to learn don't stifle her, it'll just frustrate her (belive me I know!). If she wants to do workbooks let her, if she's interested in extracaricular activities encourage her. I know it's a double edged sword, you don't want her too far ahead but you don't want her bored either. It's a hard decision that I've had to make and we've decided to let our daughter go at her pace and have talked to the necessary people at school to get her the extra challenge that she needs
    ShutterBug77

• Amen to that one!!!!! Posted by: kaycee14

"I agree that teaching her more advanced material will only make it worse in the long run. The more you teach her, the more bored she'll be in school since she has already mastered the brand new topic. She'll either get bored and quit doing ANY work (been there) or she'll turn into a trouble maker / class clown (my brother). And keep in close touch with the teacher - you need to know if problems develop and you may be able to convince the school to do something for advanced little kids so they stay advanced.

At home, instead of teaching her more advanced lessons, try a different subject. Pick a bug to learn about, study drawing techniques, learn about someone in history, learn a muical instrument. The library can help with all of these, she can work on more advanced reading skills while learning a new topic or sharpen math skills by learning music. "

20sumstepmom

Answer by 20sumstepmom at 11:08 PM on Nov. 26, 2008