Help!

I took my baby to the docter because he is always crying and its like hes in pain. They checked his stool to see if he has blood in it. Yes he did so the docter changed his formula thinking it was milk allergies then 2 weeks later he checked his stool again and he had blood in it . So he told me to come back in 2more weeks and i did and he still has blood in it it has been over a month so the docter is sending him to a GI specialist. Does anyone know what could be causeing him to have blood in his stool. Please help im really worried .

jess42732

Asked by jess42732 at 8:33 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh my. I am sorry to hear that. I honestly have no idea what could be causing it. Your doctor did not have any ideas other than milk allergies? I would contact the G.I. specialist as soon as possible and let them know. Hopefully they will bring you in that same day. Good luck.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 8:48 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Check out www.medlineplus.com and do a search on bloody stools. I just checked it out. I came out with some possibilities. Good luck and I hope your son is feeling better soon.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 10:10 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• My daughter also had a milk protein allergy. It can take more than a month for all the dairy to leave his system. I wouldn't worry too much and see what the GI doc thinks.
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 10:48 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I knew a woman whose baby was allergic not only to milk but to soy as well, and the baby almost died before they thought to try a corn-based formula... You may want to look into that. It worked for her, and now the baby (who lost nearly half her body weight before they figured it out) is a healthy, happy 2 year old.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 10:53 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• maybe you should try breastfeeding, my goodness.
    Anonymous

• there may be too much iron in his formula and it is constipating him and making it more difficult for him to have a bowel movement, thus the bleeding. there are lots of different things it could be. dont do anything you are not comfortable with (i.e. breastfeeding), but that can be a very serious problem, so follow up with your doctors immediately.
    Aurorasmom

Answer by Aurorasmom at 12:39 AM on Nov. 21, 2008